News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Oil feeders to rocker gear

Started by outcruisen, 2009-11-16 05:04

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Another one for you guys.. Might be a bit of a stupid question, but now is the time to find out if this is actual fact as I am at this point of the rebuild?

I have been told to restrict (or even block) the 2 small pipes that feed oil to the rocker gear on my 312 Y Block.. The small tubes that feed oil to the rocker shafts on both sides..

I am told by blocking these tubes oil pressure will be increased to the rest of the engine?

Not sure if this is actual fact as I think it may starve the rocker gear of oil and may cause them to wear out quicker. I am not building a performance engine (mild cam, 600 holly etc), but this car is going to be built for cruising. Does any one know somebody that has tried this modification successfully (Or even unsuccessfully for that matter).

Cheers

Mark

wildhog

IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH WHAT CAM BEARINGS ARE INSTALLED IN ENGINE, FOLLOW THE LINK TO THE Y-BLOCK WEB SITE AND TED EASTON HAS A VERY GOOD POST ON THIS PROBLEM. HOPE THIS HELPS TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

glen b henderson

No need to block drain tubes and in some cases can cause more harm than good. I want post all the details here, just visit the Y block site and do a search for rocker are oiling or ask your question and someone will direct you to the links. Two schools of though, full pressure oiling or improved stock oiling system. I prefer the improved stock method, but as stated above, it all begans with the cam bearings.
Freedom is not Free

outcruisen

I have just put the bottom end together and the guy that was doing it said the cam bearings are already in great condition (dont look very old at all). Another Y block guy down here in Australia told me that due to the great shape of the bearings, and the fact that they havnt  spun in the block already, I should clean the block old school style with a pressure washer and not put it through the hot tank. (This is what I did).

The cam I am now running is a custom grind, but I am using the grooved style billet and not the cross drilled type. All the books i read tell me this is the better option.

I guess every one has an opinion, but the rocker gear was in really good shape, and for a motor that is some 53 years old there cant be too much wrong with the original set up. This car started life as a Texas police car, so I would guess that it wasnt exactly babbied as youngster by the law....

I have decided that best leave best alone and as I am not building a big horsepowered drag car, the factory set up will do..

It has worked up till now with no problems I guess..

Cheers all..