News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

hood problem

Started by SEITZ_57, 2009-11-16 20:58

Previous topic - Next topic

SEITZ_57

i don't know how to word this without sounding stupid so....    i can't get the hood to open. i pull on the knob, and it moves, but the hood doesn't open. can the cable rust to the point where it breaks? and if the cable is broken, how do i get it open? i know it opens opposite of normal.

lol, i'm sorry, i feel like a  :dumbass: 

My dad just died and the car was his. He'd had ahlzeimer's for nine years, so the car has been parked for almost that long. i know almost nothing about it, which is why i'm here.

i'd sure like to get the car going again and fix it up. step one: open hood.  :001:

RICH MUISE

NOT SURE HOW YOU'D OPEN THE HOOD IF THE CABLE WAS BROKEN, BUT I SUSPECT AFTER NINE YEARS THE LATCH RELEASE, OR HOOD ITSELF IF IT'S BEEN PARKED OUTSIDE, IS STICKING. HAVE YOU TRIED HAVING SOMEONE HOLD THE HANDLE IN THE "OPEN UP POSITION" WHILE YOU TRIED TO GENTLY PRY THE HOOD OPEN. THE LATCHING MECHANISM  IS LOCATED ON THE FIREWALL IN THE APPROXIMATE CENTER IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET.A PLASTIC PRY BAR SUCH AS THE ONES THEY USE FOR REMOVING TRIM WOULD BE PREFERABLE TO METAL, IT'S BEEN SO LONG SINCE MY CAR WAS ASSEMBLED, I CAN'T REMEMBER IF YOU CAN GET A FINGER IN THERE. I MAY HAVE SEEN SOMETHING IN THE REPAIR MANUAL ON THIS. I'LL CHECK AND GET BACK IF I FIND IT.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

FORDNUT

Under the dash, in the center of the firewall, up toward the top, is a knockout plug for just this problem. Pry the plug out and you will be able to use a small screwdriver or what ever to pry the latch over to release the hood. I hope that ramble on makes some sense.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

SEITZ_57

ok, i'll give it a try.

shopratwoody

I had to open mine that way and it was not a fun job.
I hate blocksanding!

RICH MUISE

this reply should be more helpful than my first one. there was an instruction in the ford manual for this problem...you have to remove the 1 1/2 plug as fordnut stated...but to get to it the manual says to remove the left fresh air duct, then use a screwdriver to reach in and push the lever to the left. my guess is you won't be able to see it, you'll have to feel for it. the lever has a spring attached to it, so if your feeling that with the screwdriver, your in the right place..rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wildhog

NOT THAT THIS WILL HELP YOU GET YOUR HOOD OPEN, BUT MY FATHER BUILT A LOT OF 57 FORD HOT RODS AND HE ALWAYS HUNG A SMALL CABLE OR WIRE FROM THE HOOD RELEASE DOWN THE SIDE OF THE BELL HOUSING, SO HE COULD OPEN THE HOOD FROM UNDERNEATH OF THE CAR. IF THE END EVER CAME OFF THE HOOD RELEASE CABLE. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

smurfee

If you take your radio out there is a slot to twist to open the hood behind it, SMURFEE :icon_bigsmurf: :unitedstates:
NEVER LOOK BACK