News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

aftermarket air / heat systems

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-03-18 08:47

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I was planning on a Vintage Air system, seems like it's one of those no brainer, you can't go wrong decisions, but was wondering if anyone else had any other sugestions. Also was wondering if  any part of the instalation would be easier while my dash is out of the car. Also was curious if the newer detroit cars that are all over the junkyards have similar systems that could be salvaged. I don't know if the heat and air in the detroit vehicles are the same one-unit setup as the aftermarket kits.  I am also wodering where the aftermarket units draw their intakes air from. I'm thinking about closing off the outside air cowl intake vent, and eliminating the interior air vents. I figure if I can eliminate one more place for posible water leakage the better, but as I said, I don't know where the air intake for the new unit is. Has anyone eliminated their vents? Seems like I remember from the "good old days"(that was before 9/11)that when you were driving down the highway at 60 and open your vents, you usually got a facefull of dust.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich all "late" model systems pull in fresh air except when in the "MAX" mode.  They are one piece units but are not compact and do not take well to cutting and modifying.  Do the after market setup, Vintage is very good, pricey but good, try Southern Rods in NC (I think), they have units that pretty much act and look like the Vintage units.  Now is the time to mount and install the unit, just be ready to install and pull the dash for fitment (glove box/radio etc.).  If it were me I would work on keeping the outside air vents, they didn't leak when new so they shouldn't after you "fix" them up.......just MHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

your opinion is just what I was looking for. thanks. I understand they draw fresh air in, in certain modes, what I don't know is where they draw it from. Is it a hose running thru the firewall, or can it be set up to draw air from the cowl space eliminating some under the hood clutter?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich most all new cars draw from the cowl area.  Ford runs outside air through the heat/air unit in all modes except "Max AC" and have done so since the mid 70s and factory air became a "standard option" rather then the exception.  I have not looked at the 57s fresh air set up to know if it is at all possible to duct fresh air to the unit.  Personnally I think the older cars leak enough fresh air that it is really not a requirement.  My street rod just recirculates the cabin air (and what leaks in) and does not have any stale air issues.  I believe the 57s pull their "vent" air from the cowl and it might work but as I said they leak enough as it is.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II