News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hood latch

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-04-13 07:18

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Thinking of ways to clean up my firewall area... has any one done a hood latch change using the Stud in a pocket type of latch similar to the 57 t-birds, only with the pocket mounted in the cowl rather than on the cowl? I was even thinking of the posibility of no latch, only two locking hood pins.

An interesting footnote: I was told by a friend that the reason Ford stopped using the front hinge setup on the hoods was because in severe front impacts there were cases of the hood latch breaking and the hood being driven up thru the windshield....ouch!! I guess another good reason for the hood pins.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich I too have looked at ways to "clean" it up.  An idea I came up with is to use a "bear claw" latch like pickups use in the tail gate.  Threre would only be the slot for the current post to go through.  The other thing is to move the wiper motor to the kick panel under the fender using a Sprite, Midget or MGB wiper system.  It looks like the little transmission they use for each wiper head will fit in the space left after the pulley/cable assembly are pulled out. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

shopratwoody

I ran hood pins all the yrs I raced my car. I had them where the hood stops would be. They worked
fine.
I hate blocksanding!