News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

front fender eyebrow attachement

Started by rlibew, 2015-05-06 10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

rlibew

Hi I'm having trouble with front fender eyebrow attachments as my pieces has a few of the pot metal bosses with threads missing. I have been told to try and drill a small hole and thread in a stud to attach. I have read somewhere in this clubs topic to use body panel adhesive and would like to find what methods others have used. my pieces are already painted and mounted with the few bosses that are there but the do not fit tight and movement have caused minor chipping of paint .I need to address before repairs to paint. Any help here would be appreciated. thank FIRSTONRACEAY 

Lgcustom

This may not be what you want, but I just drilled, countersunk and put in stainless trim screws on each side about half way up on each side. My mounting posts were shot and it was done before the use of adhesives was common.

Hoosier Hurricane

Somewhere I have seen a Ford service letter that describes the fix suggested by Lgcustom.  Only difference was they used oval head plated trim screws commonly used in the day.  Stainless would be better.   John

Ford Blue blood

I have had good luck using bondo.  Fixed a column shift collar to the portion of the housing that holds the turn signal switch.  Sand blasted the surfaces, smeared the bondo on, stock them together and they were still good after six years and an accident.

On the fender you will just need to make sure you seal all surfaces to prevent moisture intrusion.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rlibew

thank you, I should have addressed this issue prior to paint,  now will have to glue or screw them in and deal with repaint of Eyebrows. I think body adhesive or JP weld may be best approach and maybe be able to save eyebrow paint. 

ROKuberski

When I had my car painted, I too had to deal with this problem.  On both sides, three of the four studs were broken.  I did have about 3/8" of stud left.  I bought some 1/4" coupling nuts and ground them down with a grinder so that the o.d. would fit through the existing hole on the fender.  I then cut short pieces of copper pipe that were the right length and angled on the edge that was up against the back side of the eyebrow piece.  I then put in a screw and washer.  The washer was against the back side of the small pipe so that the screw pulled the eyebrow into position properly.  I used epoxy on the threads of the stubs where I installed the coupling nuts.  It worked great.  To use my method, you will need to have about 3/8" minimum thread left on the broken shafts.  That about the thickness of a nut.  This is not holding much weight.  I've had them on for about 5,000 miles with no problems. 

Rich