News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new Del Rio project

Started by billd5string, 2015-11-02 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

billd5string

I used gasman826's suggestion and just filled up the carb, sprayed a quick shot of starter fluid and the old girl started right up.  :blob9: It was idling pretty smooth - I am astounded. I have already ordered a new water pump, time to move onto the brakes.

I only let it run for a minute or so, waited a few minutes while I dance around the driveway, then tried to start it again, and she started right up. I am completely astounded.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: billd5string on 2016-04-22 09:09
What motor/trans did you replace it with?
lincoln mark 8 4.6 auto,almost done.see my post under engine swaps

djfordmanjack

I vote for 312 power in a D code Del Rio ! :002:

RICH MUISE

If mine had a 312 oem engine, it wouldn't have ended up with the 4.6 dohc I also installed. With that said, I couldn't be happier with my decision to go the new school route.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

billd5string

Thanks for the input, guys. I put the new fuel pump in this morning, and reached in, turned the key, and she started right up. I haven't got the new water pump yet, so I didn't leave it running for more than a minute, but it sure sounds good.

I shifted it into drive and the wheels turned (it is on jackstands and master cylinder is fried). So at this point, I am definately going to stick with the stock motor and tranny. I am anxious now to get the brakes finished and go for a drive. Oh yeah, I'll have to do something about the seat also.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

I got the old water pump pulled out. No question on why it was locked up. The radiator flushed out pretty well, and I pulled the thermostat out and flushed out the engine, it came out pretty clean too - still had anti-freeze in there.

The small tube on the thermostat housing is half rotted away though, so I will try to find a new one.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

Zapato

That is the nastiest water pump I have ever seen. Did it even spin?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

billd5string

Quote from: Zapato on 2016-04-26 20:59
That is the nastiest water pump I have ever seen. Did it even spin?

Nope! It's pretty much solid.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

junior58

I'm so glad that the ol' 312 has fired up and that you are now going to keep it in place. My once-frozen 312 purrs along nicely, never been apart other than stripping and cleaning up the rocker shafts and rockers. Uses very little oil, no more you'd expect from a 59 year old engine, but doesn't blow any smoke. Hope yours goes as well as mine.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

lalessi1

Quote from: billd5string on 2016-04-23 23:02
Thanks for the input, guys. I put the new fuel pump in this morning, and reached in, turned the key, and she started right up. I haven't got the new water pump yet, so I didn't leave it running for more than a minute, but it sure sounds good.

I shifted it into drive and the wheels turned (it is on jackstands and master cylinder is fried). So at this point, I am definately going to stick with the stock motor and tranny. I am anxious now to get the brakes finished and go for a drive. Oh yeah, I'll have to do something about the seat also.

In the '60s I once test drove my car sitting on a bucket! That was how excited I was... :003:
Lynn

John Palmer

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-04-28 07:03
In the '60s I once test drove my car sitting on a bucket! That was how excited I was... :003:

That's funny..............I always used a Milk Crate!

Not sure how we lived through the 1960's?

KYBlueOval

Quote from: John Palmer on 2016-04-28 11:10
That's funny..............I always used a Milk Crate!

Not sure how we lived through the 1960's?
Milk crate was my choice as well. Why are we alive today?

hiball3985

The one I used was still made from wood., I think it was a 7 UP.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

I was not as sophisticated......used a little "kiddy" chair.  Still have it for working the loooong sides of cars while striping paint with the DA.  Yes, it is amazing we survived without government "help".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-04-29 08:16
I was not as sophisticated......used a little "kiddy" chair.  Still have it for working the loooong sides of cars while striping paint with the DA.  Yes, it is amazing we survived without government "help".
I'm sure in the future all kids will be required to be in bubble wrap  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang