News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Back to 50s minnesota

Started by kiwi ragtop, 2012-03-30 21:54

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwi ragtop

Hi My wife and I are coming over to the US from New Zealand. We have been a couple of times before, however this time its going to be a full on road trip. We land in LA on the 6th June in time to do ink n iron at the Queen Mary, then its on the road. We plan to travel most of route 66 to Chicago with a few detours such as Menphis,Nashville and of course Dearborn, where I here there in a cool museum worth visiting. We plan to be in St Paul for the back to the 50s car show. I can already here the questions most of you are thinking, that's a hell of a long way to go in such a short amount of time, and I agree. But what you have to remember is, a real Holiday to us, is seeing as much as you can in the time frame you have. I will add my email address so if anyone has any must see, or good eating places that we should consider feel free to send it through. Bob it would be good to catch up with you and Rick when we are in LA. I am not sure if you still remember me, I brought a countrysedan from you, also Rick sold me a edelbrock twin four inlet manifold, still haven't fitted it to the car yet but its on the to do list. I look forward to any info that may help us on our road trip.
email allanjulie@actrix.co.nz

cheers Allan

57AGIN

Kiwi ragtop:

I surely do remember you.  About 6 or 7 years ago, I had just gone to the Donut Derelicts Saturday morning car show on my way to a surf session.  I had a photo of the Country Sedan I had been asked to sell for one of my son's friends.  You showed up the next day to my house, looked the car over and paid what Brett wanted for the car and the car was shipped to New Zeeland.  Brett, my son's friend is a Marine Corps JAG Lawyer, stationed fairly close and he keeps in touch with us.  I know He'd like to know what has happened to the wagon, so would Rick and I.  When you arrive in Los Angeles, please call and we'll see what we can arrange to meet with you and your wife.  As you may remember, Rick and I live about 7 or 8 miles from the Queen Mary in Long Beach.  Given the time schedule you are on the meeting will be short, but me, my wife and Rick and his friend Peggy would love to welcome you to the States.

Bob
57 AGIN 

57 imposter

Allan,  Your idea is a great one, I would love to be able to do a road trip in New Zealand, no mater what the time frame was. You will love your stop at back to the 50's. We have done three rod runs from Washington State  for the show and have had a great time every time.  11,500 cars and lots of vendors will keep you busy. good luck on your trip and let us know what you guys think of the show,

kiwi ragtop

Good to here from you Bob, I have followed progress on your resto through this forum. Its always handy to have someone with Ricks knowledge around to give you a hand. I can't wait to see it in real life. Sadly to say things did not go so well with the country sedan you sold me. It was in storage when the building caught fire and burnt about 60% of the car. however the good news is that after we brought the wagon from you we went down to San Diego and I ended up buying another wagon as a parts car, and I am glad I did. I end up selling both cars to together and the guy has a goal to put your one back on the road. What I take from this is, even though I didn't need the second car it still proved to be a good decision. Bob I will bring some photo's when I come over. Can you email your phone number and address I have miss placed your details I think they were in the glove box of the wagon for safe keeping not a smart decision.

counting down the days
Allan   

Frankenstein57

If you like a cold beer with your car show, better bring it with you. That place is dry on Weekends, ask me how I know.

kiwi ragtop

Hi Frankenstein, your kidding right  how can a place that size be dry on weekends, it's not Lynchberg

Frankenstein57

I went two years ago on a Saturday, took about an hour and a half to park, hot as hell , no beer stands in sight. I don't know what the deal is, maybe they don't want a bunch of drunken hot rodders. There were plenty of people with beer, just none for sale.Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome car show, 11,000+ cars all older than 64. Same thing happened at the Indy 500, dry on Sunday. If you are driving through Wisconsin, look me up, I'll find us a car show.  Mark

kiwi ragtop

Mark thanks for the offer, if we had more time I would certainly head your way. I understand there should be quite a few 57s at St Paul. I have a friend of mine who is in the crown Victoria car club, he flys over every year for back to the 50s he says its one of the best car shows around. When I work out how to post photo's I will put some up of my rag top, as well as my wife's 57 Tbird we have owned both cars for 18 years and take turns on which we take out. although I still think my car is way better. Only eight weeks to go can't wait

cheers Allan   

RICH MUISE

Allan...I'm sure you already know as far as the route 66 thing goes, most of the original highway is no longer in existence. You'll be spending most of your miles on interstates that follow along closely where the old route 66 use to be, such as interstates 25 and 40. At each town you go thru, the business loop for that city's interstate is usually where it follows the old 66. Generally speaking, the old highways went thru each town it went thru, where the new interstate highways skirt the outside edges of the town. Most of the towns and cities along route 66 have touristy areas with gift shops and restaurants.
I live 2 blocks of the 66 tourist area in Amarillo, Texas. My phone number is 1-806-341-6213 (cell) or 1-806-379-6213. If your planning on stopping in Amarillo, give me a call and I'll buy lunch at one of the old '66 burger joints.
One thing of interest in Amarillo to the older car buffs is "Cadillac Ranch"...don't know if you've heard of it down under, but it's basically a half dozen 50's Cadillacs half buried in the ground (actually each of them is set in a huge concrete block)with their noses sticking up in the air. It was on the cover of LIFE magazine in the 60's and has been a popular stop for tourists ever since. It's right on interstate 40, just a few miles west of Amarillo. Take exit #60, and follow the access road east along the highway for a mile or so. It's free, and they encourage people to leave a message on the cars..so bring a marking pen with ya.It's on the south side of the highway, about 100 yards or so from the road in an open field.
To get to the old 66 area of Amarillo, take the Western Street exit (#67 I think), turn left (north) and follow it up to Bushland Ave. Turn rt..after a block, it turns into 6th st., and for the next mile to Georgia St. is antique shops,restaurants, and gift shops. That's the area I live also.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

kiwi ragtop

Rich, We will be stopping in Amarillo,  should be on the 11th June if all goes according to the master plan. I will give you a call so we can catch up, and yes I have heard of the Cadillac ranch and it is on the to do list. The trouble is the to do list keeps getting longer. Its going to be good to get into some hot weather, the temps in New Zealand are starting to cool as we are in autumn. and by the time we head your way it will be winter here, not that good for convertables. If anyone else has any must See's, or is on our route and has the  time for a coffee and a chat please don't hesitate to make contact.

cheers Allan

Ford Blue blood

Allan in my opinion taking Rt. 66 up through Oatman, AZ is a must.  It is the first exit after crossing the Colorado River at the CA/AZ boarder.  It it a fantastic drive.  I would just stay on it all the way to Williams, AZ and then swing up for a look at the Grand Canyon.  There are about six thousand things to see and do in AZ and NM alone so you'll have to choose carefully or your entire year could be spent there!  Enjoy your trip sir.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'll mark my calender for June 11...looking forward to it. I've never had the oportunity to do the Oatman run, but the Grand Canyon Bill mentioned would be in my opinion a must-see for anyone visiting the southwest. From the Flagstaff, Arizona (beautiful country in itself)area on route 40, it's about an hours drive north to the south rim. Even if you can just spend an hour or so there, it's well worth the detour. Just an awesome sight that's never going to be captured in photographs that do it justice.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

kiwi ragtop

Hi guys, the trip has rolled around pretty quickly. all set to go most of the accomadation is booked although we have left a few days spare incase we want to stay longer in some towns. as long as we get to St Paul by the 21 its all good. We arrive on the 6th early afternoonthen straight to motel to unload then off to the NHRA cruise night at Pomona. the next four days are full on before hitting the road. First stop Holbrooke, Wigwam hotel then through to Amerillo. Rich I will give you a call when we get in and make a time for us to catch up. Bob can you send me your phone number email me at allanjulie@actrix.co.nz I would love to see yours and Rick's cars while in LA. I will leave it there for now we are just about to take my sunliner out for a drive and make the most of a very mild winters day       ( roof down of course )

cheers Allan