News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

powder coat question

Started by hiball3985, 2013-01-08 11:00

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I'm ready to send my front suspension parts to powder coating. Did any of you mask off the bushing area's or have any problems pressing the bushings in if you didn't?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-01-08 11:00
I'm ready to send my front suspension parts to powder coating. Did any of you mask off the bushing area's or have any problems pressing the bushings in if you didn't?

I powder coat my smaller pieces in my garage and I use a spiecal heat tape to cover the areas I dont want powder on like threads and any where extra thickness would be a problem.

hiball3985

Thanks, I'm just concern about the upper and lower A arms in the bushing areas.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Yes you will want to mask them off (special hi temp tape) or sand the powder off after they come back.  Try enclosing an instruction sheet and tape off the areas with regular masking tape if you are mail/shipping them.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

The first time I had stuff powder coated I was concerned about slip fit headers and the O2 bung threads.  The coater guy said not to worry, the coating is too thin to interfer with threads and slip fit headers.  I have had them done twice.  The first time in black ceramic and the second time in aluminum ceramic that polished out like dirty chrome.  Both times the slip fit headers and the O2 sensors fit with no problem.  The headers don't leak or rust together!

hiball3985

Thanks guys for your input. I'll mask them off just to be safe. They are just going to a friends job, so it's an under the table freebee  :003: not something I normally do.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

When I powder coated my upper and lower control arms the bushing holes were not masked and I had no problems with the install of the bushings, just a light grease coat and press on.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

I decided to send them without masking, I'll get them in one way or another.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang