News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Started by pepfalcon, 2014-10-02 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Welcome Phillip!! Glad you finally joined. As you probably already found out, most of us here are the computer challenged old farts....computer literate guys like James are in the minority! I'm particularly glad you joined as I'm also installing a 4.6 Mark VIII... you've probably seen the threads in the engine swap board. I know from other cars James has told us about this 4.6 install isn't your first, as mine is for me. Are you running the 4R70W as well? What does the '98 have for throttle linkage?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

pepfalcon

rich. when i bought my car, i didn"t have a clue as to what engine i would use in it. the 292 that was in it ran real good, but as i worked on it, i leaned toward fuel injection and reliability on long trips. i like to drive my cars as possible. i have a 63 falcon with 2003 mustang mach 1 engine in it, so i thought about a dohc from a mark viii with automatic transmission. i have the accelerator cable off a late model f 150.  i have followed your build on this site, and i used some of your ideas. hope you don"t mind. i am using the 4r70w from a 98 also, because it has a lot of upgrades, and still has the gear driven speedometer on the tailshaft that is needed.

RICH MUISE

I absolutly don't mind anybody using any info I post on their projects. That's the whole reason for this great forum. Feel free to add any info pertaining to the '98 version on that 4.6 install thread...as you have probably gathered, I've usually been telling  guys to avoid the '97-98 version because of the additional electronics, so it would be great to hear how you are working out those. I'm refering to things like the PATS system, throttle linkage, etc. If I remember correctly, James has mentioned in the past you did all the harness work on your Falcon, so any input you could add would be greatly appreciated.

pepfalcon

rich, i am going to try to use the 97 vlcm and engine fuse box with the 96 computer. a wierd variety, huh. the 96 computer doesn"t have pats, so thats the reason for that. studying my wire diagrams, i think i cac use the 97 vlcm and fuse box. i do this because i am super low buck. lol

RICH MUISE

If I could, I would have. Since I never wired a car before, read schematics, or even used a multi-meter, I needed the step by step idiot proof harness as Ron Francis sells. The good thing about it is hopefully after I've wired the engine one connector at a time, I'll have a better knowledge of what exactly all that "stuff" is. I've already learned alot of what those gadgets are getting the o2 sensors and egr valve/sensors,fuel lines, etc. installed. I had a friend who was trying to talk me into a harness that was custom made along with a reprogrammed computer, and simply plugged in at a half dozen places. I elected to go the RF route for the self tutorial it is going to give me instead.
The '96 computer you mentioned..a note of caution there...I believe '96 had two versions, so a date of manufacture might be important....also I'm wondering about the coils differences. The '96 still had the coil packs, and the 97-98 had the coil on plugs.
I heard also the '97-98 no longer used the dual intake runners...???

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-10-05 14:40
I heard also the '97-98 no longer used the dual intake runners...???

My 98 LSC had the dual intake runners.  One of those that got away....:<(
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

pepfalcon

concerning the two different computers, i wasn"t aware of that. my 96 lincoln mark viii diagram book lists only one set of diagrams. as for the coil packs, i rewired my engine harness for the coil on plugs on the 98'

RICH MUISE

I'll try and find the reference I had to the two 96 computers.
Found it...
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=990.135