News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power steering - junk it?

Started by jvo, 2015-03-13 00:03

Previous topic - Next topic

jvo

Anybody need any power steering parts?  I am going to junk the stock setup on my Ranchero.  Just thought I would post it in case there's anything there that's hard to find for a restoration or whatever.  You would have to pay the freight to wherever.  If not, then its going to the scrapyard with the rest of the rusty junk.
I am going to use a Cavalier rack and pinion.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Ecode70D

I think that Jeff needs it.  Jay

Jeff Norwell

Heck yes John,I will take it!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Jeff
  I always knew that you needed one of those.   Jay

Jeff Norwell

Thanks for the heads up Jay!

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

jvo

Okay. Do you want the whole shebang, tie rod end to tie rod end, or just specific pieces?  Doesn't matter to me.  You're paying the freight.  Don't want to guarantee the tie rod ends will not be mashed, but I would assume you would replace them anyhow.  I only have one of those cheap chinese pickle forks and it destroys the tie rod end every time I remove one.
Anyway, I can't even send a pic, as I made a high speed trip this morning from Lethbridge to Fernie, as my son called and they needed an emergency babysitter, as his wife Stacey went into labor.  I'm a new grandpa as of 3 pm today, baby girl 7 lbs, 1 oz. and very beautiful.  So, I won't be home for a couple days. 
I will break it down, whatever you want.  You just have to send me your address.  You in Toronto area?  Let me know how you want it sent, greyhound or whatever. 
Won't be home for a couple days, and my pickup is in hiding, cause the cops are probably looking for it after my drive this morning.  Everybody has a camera and cell phone nowadays. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Dave_S

Quote from: jvo on 2015-03-13 22:32
... Don't want to guarantee the tie rod ends will not be mashed, but I would assume you would replace them anyhow.  I only have one of those cheap chinese pickle forks and it destroys the tie rod end every time I remove one.

If you have a fairly heavy hammer and hit the joint that accepts the tie rod tapered shaft nice and square on the pointed end (the end away from the biggest mass of the cast iron part) the tie rod end should just pop right out of its tapered mounting hole.  I just rebuilt the front suspension of my F150 and replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends a couple weeks ago.  In fact the two ball joints and the tie rod end came off the spindle in under 30 seconds!  Never used my pickle at all, just my trusty 5 pound hammer.  Two or three whacks and they're apart with no damage to the rubber grease boot.  For a tie rod that inserts into a hole in the middle of long steering rod, use another large hammer on back side of the casting where the tapered shaft inserts so when you hit it, it will "pinch" the casting, and it should pop out.

Lucky'57

Good one Gramps! Congratulations  :canada:
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)