News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

power steering hose connections wrong?

Started by highpockets, 2017-02-17 10:02

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

I am putting the factory style power steering back on my Courier,,,,control valve/cylinder type. I have had the cylinder and valve rebuilt. I had power steering on it years ago, but took it off because of constant leaks. I still have the pressure hose from back then. But, according to the place that rebuilt my valve, the bigger thread size on the valve is the pressure (from the pump) port. If that is the case, I had it wrong before,,small port threads on my hose. I had called some "pros" a while ago and they told me the small port was the pressure, larger one return. What is correct? The place that rebuilt my valve said I couldn't of had it hooked up backwards because it would have really been erratic to drive and it wasn't. I am getting ready to install it and get the hoses hooked up. Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gasman826

Usually hydraulic pressure lines are smaller than return lines...but not always.  Before answering, I checked mine.  The big one is the return line (low pressure) and the pressure line is the smaller one.

highpockets

OK,,,cool. Thank you. I have a buddy who removed a complete setup from a 64 Mercury. I checked that one and it was the small line/pressure, big line/return. Now, I can go ahead and get hoses made.