News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power steering control valva

Started by mtwilsonboy, 2017-09-16 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

mtwilsonboy

Is there any place that I can get a power steering control valve without having to send mine in for rebuild?? They seem to be impossible to find.

There has to be someone that has them rebuilt and for sale somewhere.

Ray

Prestige thunderbird or Concours parts probably have them in stock.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

KYBlueOval

There is a Forum Member that goes by the name    SkylinerRon   from Maryland as I recall, that will be a vendor at The Fall Carlisle Swap Meet the end of September, he might be able to help you.

mtwilsonboy

Thanks for the imformation.  My nephew was hoping to use it in his wedding but I don't think that will happen since finding a control valve is so difficult.

John Palmer

Don't worry about it!  It will stop dripping, after all the oil runs out!  Think of it just like a Harley "marking it's spot".

Back in the day, they leaked when they were new.  As soon as you got the control valve sealed up, then hoses started leaking.  Fix the hoses, then the Ram leaked.  The design was not one of the better ideas from Ford.

81TTA

I'd be interested to hear if you find any "new" suppliers for the control valves.  I know Concourse only had rebuild services for the entire control valve when I was putting together a system a few years ago. 

If there isn't any hardware damage and you just need to try to get things sealed up, Concourse does have a control valve rebuild kit and seals available.  It's pretty easy to swap out all the soft parts.

gasman826

This past winter I added PS to Raunch Wagon.  I found repop hoses and slave cylinder.  My donor car was a '64 Galaxie (much easier to find than '57s).  At that time I found no supplier for valve.  I've had positive experiences with CARDONE Remanufacturer.  A few times, I have sent them my core to rebuild and return.  My core was returned fresh and renewed with new insides, new seats, and new end cap.  So far all works fine with no leaks yet...about 4000 miles this summer.  $365.00 with a year warranty.

SkylinerRon

Seems like I saw new ones for sale lately. Maybe check with the major vendors. If I see the ad
again i'll post it.
My 57 driver has been leaking for years mostly while setting. I put a flat pan under it in the garage,
it doesn't seem to leak once warmed up, probably just hard seals.
Goodluck,
Ron.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: John Palmer on 2017-09-17 14:31
Don't worry about it!  It will stop dripping, after all the oil runs out!  Think of it just like a Harley "marking it's spot".

Back in the day, they leaked when they were new.  As soon as you got the control valve sealed up, then hoses started leaking.  Fix the hoses, then the Ram leaked.  The design was not one of the better ideas from Ford.

Yes it does stop leaking but it makes for some hard steering.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-09-17 20:53
This past winter I added PS to Raunch Wagon.  I found repop hoses and slave cylinder.  My donor car was a '64 Galaxie (much easier to find than '57s).  At that time I found no supplier for valve.  I've had positive experiences with CARDONE Remanufacturer.  A few times, I have sent them my core to rebuild and return.  My core was returned fresh and renewed with new insides, new seats, and new end cap.  So far all works fine with no leaks yet...about 4000 miles this summer.  $365.00 with a year warranty.

Im afraid I will have to send mine off for rebuild. I haven't found anyone who sells them new or rebuilt. Its hard to believe they are that scarce. My nephew wanted to use my car in his wedding but I guess that isn't going to happen.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-09-17 20:53

What was the turn around time??

gasman826

about 30 day turn around

mtwilsonboy

lotsafords

Give Thunderbird Headquarters in Concord CA. a shot.  I'm pretty sure the one I got several years ago was on an exchange basis.  No waiting.
Jack

Contibob

While it is not the best solution for the wedding, the car can still be driven with the pump belt removed so you don't burn up the pump. It just won't have power assist.