News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power steering control valva

Started by mtwilsonboy, 2017-09-16 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

81TTA

Quote from: mtwilsonboy on 2017-09-18 07:29
Im afraid I will have to send mine off for rebuild. I haven't found anyone who sells them new or rebuilt. Its hard to believe they are that scarce. My nephew wanted to use my car in his wedding but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Trying not to sound too much like a commercial for Concourse, but...  Their site lists the control valves on an "exchange" basis.  Maybe they have some in stock that they won't sell until you send yours in?  Not sure how they'd be certain you were going to send in your old one unless they have a HUGE deposit or wait until they get the original?  Might be worth a call (if you haven't already) to see how they would handle the exchange.

I know exactly what you're dealing with trying to find spare parts.  Not sure how many '57s there were with PS.  Apparently, all are either still installed on running cars or have been scrapped.  I'm sure this is why the parts houses don't have any rebuilt units just sitting on the shelf.

Again, I'll mention that replacing the seals in the valve is very straightforward.  For roughly $65+shipping you can buy the kits with all new "rubber" parts along with a new ball stud.  You'll probably have more time in removing/replacing the control valve than you will for installing the kit parts.  Unless there's obvious damage to the hardware/casting or there's a problem with steering performance outside of leaks, this is a quick thing to try.  Worst case, you're out $65 and an hour or two.  Best case you save $300 (or more) that would have gone to a rebuilder.

Ford Blue blood

Having installed a Borgeson in a friends car I would do that instead of using the old system.  Late model parts, easy to get hoses and the kits are complete when ordered with the pump.  Brackets are perfect, fit as they should with to "tweaking" required.  Steering column does require mods but still a great swap IMHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

John Palmer

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-09-20 08:30
Having installed a Borgeson in a friends car I would do that instead of using the old system.  Late model parts, easy to get hoses and the kits are complete when ordered with the pump.  Brackets are perfect, fit as they should with to "tweaking" required.  Steering column does require mods but still a great swap IMHO.

Agree, I have a brand new one still sitting in the shipping box.  Just too many projects to start another one.  It seems to be the best answer to the original style leaking power steering systems.  Mine (the old system) leaks when sitting for more than a week, and works fine when driving.

SkylinerRon

Maybe a can of Lucas p/s stop leak as a temporary fix for the wedding.

Goodluck,

Ron.