News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front end rebuild

Started by Contibob, 2018-11-29 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Contibob

I took one of my Fords in to check a problem with it pulling to the right. Turns out it basically needs Lower ball joints and all control arm bushings replaced. Since it would all be apart I figured it was best to just go ahead and replace all ball joints and all bushings. Estimate was $2681.00 with moog parts including new lower bolt kit. This sounds like a lot, am I just out of the loop on repair costs?

SkylinerRon

Most shops are charging around $100./hr so it mounts up fast. Pulling the lower arms means the springs must come out too.
How much were they charging for the parts?

Ron.

djfordmanjack

were they going to also blast/powder coat all A arms, suspension parts, springs, replace stabilizer rubbers, bump stops, brake hoses aso ?
It sounds like a lot of money, but then again a lot of working hours are involved if somebody really restored and finished the job nicely.
I would not want to pay that amount for just somebody slapping in a few ball joints quick and dirty.

hiball3985

Last year my friend took his 57 wagon in to have the front end rebuilt for $1700 and I thought that was outrageous! I do all my own work so I'm always shocked at these prices shops charge..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

It does seem like a lot of money but as stated above a lot of work goes into it.  On the bright side, it'll include an alignment!
Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-11-30 03:27
were they going to also blast/powder coat all A arms, suspension parts, springs, replace stabilizer rubbers, bump stops, brake hoses?
If all this were done, then is seems more reasonable, to me
Terry

RICH MUISE

I may be out of the loop also, but I think that's outrageous for only what you mentioned. What part of the country do you live, Bob? Moog doesn't necessarily mean "good as the old days". Some years ago they announced they were working on a line of premium ball joints for classic cars that were to be made in the USA. This was in response to years of made in China parts (by all the manufacturers)that didn't last. Last time I checked, they were not available for our '57's yet. So, all that money may/may not be for ball joints that will last. Rare Parts did announce their premium line ("Diamond series"?) of ball joints were available for the '57's. Rare Parts stuff IS made in the USA. If I remember, their lower joints were around 230. each. (x4=approx 1k w/tax)
By "new lower bolt kit", did you mean the lower control arm shafts @ 100+, or just the ball joint bolts @5? With that said, my Concourse Parts ball joints now have 25k miles on them.
I totally agree with DJ. That kind of money should get you a full front end rebuild. Alignment here is less than 100., btw
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Yup, seams a bunch high.  Most shops use a flat rate manual.  Don't believe they (flat rate manuals) go back as far as our old stuff.  Might be he is pricing it so high to price it out of his shop to some one else? 

When I was doing that as a living (only 3 years) I often over priced jobs I didn't want because of the individual and his/her way of "taking care of business".  Worked almost all the time.  One failure with that, a 427 Cobra kit car that a previous "builder" had attempted.  It was a really huge pain (a tone of fiberglass repairs) and the owner couldn't believe how much time it was taking.  No concept of the new paint systems and the fact you couldn't sand after it tacked up......I could go on but it is all history now never to be re-lived!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

I was feeling all old and stuff because it took me all day to inspect and align the front end with headlight aim to boot.  Then I read these posts about $2700.  Feeling pretty good right now after putting the old. antique tools away.  Wish I could help.

Ecode70D

WOW guys! I sure am thankful that I don't have to pay those prices and that I still can do my own work.  The worst thing is that all the new parts today are junk they have no way to know how good the  parts are that the shops bolt onto the cars.  They also have no way of knowing how badly they altered good original pieces to make the new junk pieces fit.       

Contibob

It was around 900 for upper and lower ball joints, bushings for all 4 control arms and lower control arm bolt kit. 1700 labor. no sand blasting, painting. just R&R plus alignment

RICH MUISE

Just for grins, I asked my friend who runs a speed shop what he would charge. He figured 4-5 hours labor per side @80. Bob, as I said earlier, a lot depends on if the ball joints are made in the USA. If not, that's way over priced, by at least double.
Per the concourse site:
4 ball joints  140.
4 lower shafts   82
8 bushings    64
That's 286. for parts, but I'm sure the made overseas ball joints. Add 800 labor,100 alignment=1186. Far cry from 2681.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

front end rebuild should also include tie rod ends and an idler arm and new shocks, it does at my house  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang