Power Steering Pump recomendations using HydroBoost and J.Starks R&P

Started by KYBlueOval, 2021-07-06 12:37

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

My engine is very close to being finished and I'm now acquiring AC Compressor, Alternator and a Power Steering Pump. What I'd like to, is retain the Ford Factory brackets for the Alternator, AC and Power Steering Pump. The engine is a 351 Windsor from a '95 F-150. I also have a HydroBoost from a '03 Mustang and a John Starks Rack and Pinion.

My question is this.........Will a new or rebuilt replacement for the original '95 F-150 Power Steering Pump work with the HydroBoost and the Rack and Pinion I mentioned above? Is it "enough" pump? If it will work, are there any "problems" that must be fixed to make it work, other than the routing of the hoses. And does anyone have a diagram for the hose routing?

If it will not work with the HydroBoost and the Rack and Pinion, what pump will work?
Thanks
John

dgasman

A pump from a mustang will work as the Mustang has a rack and hydro boost. I know I have the diagram for the hose routing but can?t find it at the moment. Will post when I find it. Now if I remember correctly if you have the pump from the truck and it is the ford plastic reservoir you just need to replace the spring under the big nut/ outlet with one from a mustang. 
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

I'm using the '95 power steering pump from a Mark Viii. Works just fine. I think "enough pump" is better than too much pump or you'll have problems with the rack's seals. You are going to need a reservoir with 2 return lines....the rack has one as does the hydroboost. The hydroboost's return is the smaller outlet on the "block" attached to the body. Some Fords used a Y fitting instead of two separate lines running to the reservoir. I had a really nice ss reservoir custom-made for me with two return fittings and the correct drain/feedbarbed nipple to match the hose size going into the pump. The boost uses metric O-rings, btw, and rebuild kits are available. Same boost unit that GM used I believe.
Both the rack and the hydroboost are metric, so you'll need adapters if you're wanting to use AN6.  Pure Choice Motorsports in Lake Havasu, Az has everything you'll need. If your rack has machined/ spotfaced surfaces on the fitting's bosses, I'd go with a banjo fitting (pure choice) to make for a cleaner install. They won't seal on an as-cast boss surface. Because the fluid runs thru the hydroboost, I installed a small cooling unit in front of my A/C condenser.
I'll see what I can find on plumbing the system.
BTW, be aware for future repair/replace that Cavalier offered at least two different racks, as far as the ratio, and two different input spines. I ran a sport rack for a while, and was surprised to find out some of my "wandering" in high winds or big-rig induced winds went away when I went to a standard ratio rack.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the replies! I really do appreciate it.
I'll look into both pumps that you both mentioned. In my perfect world(where I seldom get to live),the pump will bolt into the OEM bracket I have from the '95F-150.  Hoping the '95 Mark Vlll will do just that.
I'll look into comparing the '95F-150 Specs to those of a Mustang and the '95 Mark Vlll.
No doubt I'll have more questions.
Thanks
John

KYBlueOval

Called Lares (Pump manufacturer) and asked them to compare pressures from the '95 F-150 and a '95 lincoln Mark lll..........They are just about the same, so I'll go with a new Lares unit that has two returns.
Thanks for the help!
John