News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

granada spindles

Started by wv 57s forever, 2022-01-23 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

wv 57s forever

is there a ball joint that will go into the spindle without all the extra at bottom ?  :deadhorse:

RICH MUISE

If I have all this correct, that "extra at the bottom" is what gives the drop. I used a short length of thick walled rubber tubing to cover the exposed spindle space and put pressure on the top of the ball joint boot. How big the spindle's hole is reamed governs the depth of ball joint "intrusion", and determines the exact amount of drop.
When I first was aware of the space, I was very uncomfortable with it, did some research and found that was the way it was done hundreds of times in the past. After 56k miles, I'm no longer uncomfortable with it. Just my 2 cents, but actually not sure why you're asking.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

There is no other ball joint that I know about. I feel the only proper way is to ream the spindle to the same size as the original spindle for the ball joint to fit correctly. I forget what degree reamer is required??? Just my opinion..
If I had to do it again I wouldn't use Granada spindles. I would get an after market kit that works with the stock spindles
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

The Granada style brake spindle was used for more than 10 years on an array of FOMOCO vehicles.  So some spindles are machined different the others...there is not one spindle.  I've heard all kinds of issues with ball joints and tie rods needing reaming.  I have only had one set of spindles that required the tie rod holes ream slightly...the cotter pin hole wouldn't align.  A couple of turns with a ream solved the cotter pin issue.  Some spindles require larger wheel bearings and seals.  I haven't found any alignment issues I couldn't over come.  New replacement parts are readily available.  They may not be road-race quality but work pretty good for street use.  I will not be removing any of the Granada style brakes/spindles from my cars.  That being said, I am lining up parts for a disc brake conversion.  I have Kelsey Hayes setup to use but will toss it.  I really like to use the OEM stuff for street use.  But, with the limited availability and high cost of 50 year old brake parts, my next conversion will be Wilwood.  I will still use 2010 OEM disc for the rear conversion.

59meteor

I have the Wilwood front disc brakes on my 59, which retains the factory spindles, and I am very happy with it. Regarding the Granada spindles, I have heard, but have never tried it personally, that the Lincoln Versaille , which was based on the Granada, has the same lower ball joint tapered hole size as a 57-59, and  supposedly are a direct fit on the old Ford ball joints. I believe the same outer tie rod end problem, where the cotter pin hole is too low to get past the castle nut, which can be addressed by either using later tie rod ends, filing the nuts notch deeper, or grinding the top of the spindle arm to allow the nut to thread down further.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.