News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What mufflers

Started by Buckaroo, 2022-05-25 18:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo

I have a 1957 Fairlane with a 390.  It was fairly loud when I bought it but after installing Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake manifold it is a lot louder, too loud.  We would like a deep throaty sound but not obnoxious. It presently has some sort of Cherry bomb mufflers and 2 1/2" pipes.  I was thinking Smitty's?  What is anyone running with their 390s?

59meteor

My Ford is a 59 2 door sedan, with a 428 CJ and FPA headers, and now, TFS aluminum heads. For exhaust, I had a custom exhaust shop make up a full 2 1/2" dual exhaust, with Dyna Max turbo mufflers. Rather than locate the mufflers in the factory location, under the drivers and passenger side front floor boards,I had them install the mufflers below the rear seat, just ahead of the rear axle, which helps keep the front floor much cooler. I like the sound, has a nice rumble, but not obnoxiously loud, no droning , or "rapping off", when decelerating. Also, I had them make up tailpipes that exit on an angle, behind the rear tires, pointing down.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

428 stroker, Edelbrock heads, Comp cam, FPA headers. 2 1/2" pipe, Borla mufflers. X-pipe, exhaust tips outside of springs to the bumper (in case I wanted resonators). I really like the quieter rumble. No rapping or droning
Lynn

Buckaroo

Thank you for both of the suggestions.  Once I get the car back from the body shop, we hit a deer, I will see what length I need and what will fit.

Thanks again.  This site is great!

gasman826

Muffler sound is so influenced by many variables.  The engine: engine family, cubic inches, compression, cam specs, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, headers, header length, timing and tune.  The pipes: x-pipe, H-pipe, diameter, steel, aluminum, stainless, alloy, length, downward or straight terminated.  Muffler, pipe material, pipe diameter are the biggest part of sound.  X-pipe, H-pipe or none will help tune the sound you want.  I'm big on stainless pipe and mufflers (Flowmaster), H-pipe, 2-1/2" or 3" diameter with tailpipes out the rear bumper and ceramic coated headers.  Just one of unlimited opinions.

Fabulous50s

I used Flowmaster HPII. The longer versions, 9.2:1 352, manifolds, 2" steel pipe, no crossover. Very nice sound, not tinny, raspy, or obnoxious.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Ford Blue blood

Put the mufflers under the rear seat.  Surprising how much noise comes off the case.  I like the "Covair Turbo" style, nice idle sound, quiet on the road and very nice sound when the "go" pedal is punched.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

abe_lugo

I would recommend to insulate the floor if you have not already. I have old smittys on my 351W, over time the packing wears or something and it becomes somewhat louder. I have 26" I think, def londer than 20"

ON my Caddy I have Porters, those are steel packed, they sounds old hotroddery. that runnning a CAD 500 engine

Both Duals, I dont think I have a crossover on mine.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008