News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Felt weatherstrip

Started by Charter, 2020-07-18 13:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Charter

The outer weatherstrip. Does it go in front of the vent post ? I have a gap in between the door and the post. Should the strip curve upward at the end where it meets the window channel or butt square against the channel ?

lalessi1

Not sure this answers the question. My car is a Custom. The felt channels meet in the corner, the top chrome edge of the felt channel extends over the vent post.
Lynn

Charter

I'm looking for the bottom side of the vent post. I have the D/C strips to cut to fit. Just want to make sure I do this right the first time. The old ones are screwed in, scratched up the glass. So I know this cannot be from the factory. The inner ones were missing altogether.

Ford Blue blood

I assume you are talking about the "fuzzies" that run horizontally along the bottom of the window opening.  The re-popped fuzzies have a clip that snaps them into place on the edge.  The fuzzies that is on the window garnish molding was stapled in from the factory.  I have used small pop rivets and painted them black with great success.

The vent window frame has a "hidden" screw the goes in just under the latch and catches a tab that is on the door skin.  That screw is a bit of a pain.  The fuzzy on the outside should have a small wire only tab, it tucks between the door skin and the vent frame.  Or just trim it to come up flush with the frame after that hidden screw is tightened down.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Here is a pic of the bottom. The chrome part of the fuzzy strips at the bottom of the vent window are bent 90 degrees down after being trimmed. in the back they are flattened and curve slightly up. I epoxied mine on.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I had installed new fuzzies from Classic Auto Parts in OKC, and the driver's side / door side scratched the glass. The snap-in clips were stappled to the fuzzy strip, and it was the staple that scratched. After replacing the glass, I joined the "epoxy them in" group removing all the clips and staples. No issues since.
Great pics Lynn! I have to alter your verbal description though......the outer ss trim edge extends out over the ss gutter/wing (?) not the vent window post.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Couple of pictures of the fuzzies going in on the 58 Edsel.  No window scratches, no loosening up and the black paint hides the heads.  The pop rivets are 1/8" counter sink heads with a 5/32" hole drilled.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Charter

Lynn, what did you use to fill the gap at the bottom of the vent post ? I attached the felt on the inside using gorilla glue and 3, 2-56 sheet metal screws ( HO scale train screws ) using a #49 drill bit. These disappear being so small.

lalessi1

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-07-19 10:46
I had installed new fuzzies from Classic Auto Parts in OKC, and the driver's side / door side scratched the glass. The snap-in clips were stappled to the fuzzy strip, and it was the staple that scratched. After replacing the glass, I joined the "epoxy them in" group removing all the clips and staples. No issues since.
Great pics Lynn! I have to alter your verbal description though......the outer ss trim edge extends out over the ss gutter/wing (?) not the vent window post.

You are correct sir!

I used 3M strip caulk (that sticky gooy stuff that is forever soft) between the door edge and the vent wing post. I think that is what Ford used there?
Lynn

Charter

mustang6984

Although I am a long way from doing this myself...been reading all the pots. I subscribe to a Classic Car Restoration site for tips and such, and fortuitously this popped up in my e-mail today Thought I would pass it along, perhaps give you some ideas/help. Good luck!

https://www.classiccarrestorationclub.com/video/windlace-installation-010905/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=A6202#
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker