News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tailgate

Started by Matt, 2012-08-11 21:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Hello,

As with many wagon owners, I'm in need of a tailgate for my 57 Country Sedan and the roll pan below the tailgate.  If anyone has one or a lead on one I would be greatly appreciative.

-Matt

jrw429

I too am looking for a tailgate in the Colorado area.

RICH MUISE

JR...have you checked with Webb and Co.? they are in Calhan, and their contact info is in our salvage yard listings.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jrw429

I went down and spent a few hours at Webb and Company. Very nice guy there, and a nice collection of old cars. I think I went through all the possible donors. Either the tailgate was banged up or it was rusted or it was missing and presumably good and someone got it before me! There was even a Ranchero that appeared to have a wagon tailgate on it, which might have been a possible donor. At the time, the owner said his father was restoring a 57 Ranchero and he didn't want to sell anything off any Rancheros without first checking. I ran out of time that day, and it is about a 2-3 hour trip one way. I want to get back down there, as I know more now about what parts I need and what I'm willing to get for a replacement tailgate. But I don't think Webb&Co has one.

Jim

RICH MUISE

Ok..next suggestion..have you called Desert valley auto parts in the Phoenix area? I'll be in Phoenix the first week in Sept., and if I have time I want to go thru there again. I have their contact info somewhere if you can't find it.
Rich

jrw429

http://www.dvap.com. Good suggestion, I've sent them an inquiry.

Matt, where are you located? In case I come across something that is close to you.

Matt

Sorry for the long delay.  Work has been chaotic.

I am located in central Texas.  I have checked with DVAP, but to no avail.  I was contacted recently by one company (I can't remember the name off hand), and they wanted about $300 for the skin.  Seemed a little high.

jrw429

$300 for just the skin is more than I want to spend. $300 for the whole tailgate in good condition would probably be OK, maybe a bit high. Hard to say since there doesn't seem to be any of these being sold to use for comparison.

RICH MUISE

Guys, I'm headed for Phoenix Thursday, and I'm going to try and get down to DVAP in Mesa Grande for another "walk-about". I'll get some good pics of the two tailgates I posted earlier in this thread if they are still there.
Rich

Ford Blue blood

Rich can you see what they need for that splash pan on the Ranchero with the left quarter still on it?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

will do...did you notice the right end of it is missing?
P.S....the main reason I said I'd check out the tailgates, even though they told Matt they didn't have a good one..I honestly think what dvap considers a "good one" is a much higher standard of 'good' than what we're use to seeing available on some of these parts. I had noticed a number of core supports that were heavy surface rust, but not deep rot and definetly salvageable. When I was leaving I asked the front counter what they got for a good one, and he said he'd be surprised if there was one back there.

Ford Blue blood

I did, mine is bent all to "H" in the middle, what is there in the picture of that car looks like it will cover what I need.  Would like it cut as far forward as possible on the upper flat part....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Bill, the piece you were asking about has collision damage, probably similar to what you have. I'll post some better pics of it when I get back to Amarillo, but I don't think it's anything you'd want.
The ranchero tailgates that I posted pics of are still there because they are rust buckets. The one wagon that had a tailgate when I was there last spring was a project car for sale, not a parts car, but somehow the tailgate is no longer on it...??
Rich

Ford Blue blood

Thanks for looking Rich.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

the pics...the loose tailgate is the one I first posted a pic of standing up in the sand.