News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear Hitch

Started by Raven Rider, 2014-09-02 19:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

I'm looking for a hitch to pull my Tear Drop trailer and I have not had any luck finding one.  I have a 57 two door ranch wagon if that makes a difference.  Thanks

VwDrvFnd

I got one on the back of my Ranchero that I am never going to use. Where are you located? If you come pull it with out destroying my frame or rear bumper you can have it! I am in Houston Texas. Let me know~
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Raven Rider

Well I want it but I'm not going to drive from Phoenix, Az but serious thanks for the offer If I was closer I'd take you up on that.  If you could will you take a picture next time it is handy.  I've never even seen one yet.

Lou

I woild like a picture of that hitch too, please... vehicleone@hotmail.com

RICH MUISE

Me too!, mainly because there was one on my '57 (that I may still have). I figured mine was homemade, and I'd never tow anything with it, but maybe the way it was attached was the norm back then. If I recall, it was (still is) attached to the bumper with a brace running back to the rearward crossmember...which in itself isn't all that heavy duty.
Raven...what color is your wagon...I go to Phoenix twice a year and I'm wondering if I may have seen it at a show...I was looking at a real nice one at the Goodguys show last year, or the year before that was pretty much rained out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Raven Rider

Well I pick it up tomorrow so I don't really have it yet, I'm waiting on the owner to put in a new gas tank and then the deal is done.  It is flat black with the back side windows filled in the sheet metal to look like a panel wagon.  It looks to be in pretty good shape and the price was easy enough on the pocket.  If you make it back out to Phoenix please give me a call or a PM message I would like to talk 57's with you.  You may know this but we have a weekly car show that is the longest running weekly car show in the US, it is on Saturday Nights.

VwDrvFnd

I will get some pictures as soon as I can, my helper is busy this weekend and ill have to have him get under the car for some good shots. I think its a pretty stout hitch as I was told that one of the previous owners of my car used it to haul his motorcycle trailer back and forth from California to Utah for Salt flat speed runs.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

John Palmer

I just finished building a receiver hitch for my Ranch Wagon.  I used it last weekend at the Labor Day Cruise in Orange County for the first time.  I pulled a 17' Travel Trailer.

I looked around and did not see anything with much quality still available.  I bought a Drawtite kit made for a utility truck, from ETrailer.  Free freight on orders over $100.  The center section was already welded together, you just buy the end frame plates and weld them on.  I used the smaller of the two sizes and then further cut them down.  It mounts with six 1/2" GR8 bolts on the sides, and two 3/8" GR8 bolts in the center.  I had it powder coated when done.  It's very solid.

The next project is to give it a little stiffer springs on the rear to carry the weight.

Sorry, I have no photos, but anyone is welcome to come and take a look at it anytime.

John
North Tustin, CA

RICH MUISE

John..sounds like a far better way to go than what was on my '57.
Raven...We'll be out there Oct 11 for a week. Just in time for the Central cruise show/cruise. Last year's was pretty awesome. It's also on Saturday, so of course the Pavilion is added to the day's fun. Unfortunatly I couldn't find anything else going on that week....maybe you know of something. Last year I met up with a forum member from Washington at the Pavillion. We stay in Buckeye at my wife's aunt and uncle's. My cell phone is 806 341 2036. Send me yours...I'd love to meet and talk '57's with ya.
Rich

Raven Rider

Rich my cell is 480 262 1156  give me a call some time.  y 57 will be at my house around 4 pm today, I 'm having a little trouble  with the wait.  John if you could get a picture or maybe the item number that you used I would be grateful.

SkylinerRon

The rear of 57's are pretty basic. Try going to RV center that installs hitches and look for the oldest guy there.
They should be able to fit and/or modify one to fit.
I bought a chrome tongue (class 2) and am making up the cross pieces so
I can tow my 62 Scotti teardrop w/the Skyliner.
Goodluck,
Ron.

John Palmer

Quote from: Raven Rider on 2014-09-06 17:04
Rich my cell is 480 262 1156  give me a call some time.  y 57 will be at my house around 4 pm today, I 'm having a little trouble  with the wait.  John if you could get a picture or maybe the item number that you used I would be grateful.

Raven, Here's the part numbers and prices for the kit I used from ETrailer.  I use this company very frequently with my trailer rebuilding and they have great quick service, wide inventory, and are always "in stock".

Drawtite Utility truck hitch kit #41991-07 Class IV 62" wide with 7" brackets, $184.90 (free freight over $100 orders).

I cut six inches off each side, and trimmed much of the brackets away, so the receiver is nicely tucked up under the license plate, "as close as possible".  I also fab'd a 1/4" thick center bracket to support the center of the frame cross member "which is very flexible" on a 1957 Ford.

I would also recommend that you order a extended ball mount.  Hidden Hitch # 80232, about $25.00.  I use a 16" extended mount, and I drill a new pin hole at 13" for a "just right" length.  The early travel trailers I pull were all made with very short tongues back in the 1950's, and the longer ball mount is necessary for clearance when backing up.

Make sure you remember to order a bracket to weld on for the seven way plug mounting, they are cheap.

Grade 8, 1/2" size frame mounting hardware was $23.00 from the local hardware store, and the Powder Coating cost was $115.00 for a nice satin black finish coat.  Note, I also had the three rear inner bumper supports coated while they were off.

This hitch (rating) is likely "over kill", but I was concerned about how weak the rear of the frame on my Ranch Wagon was, and this really ties it all together nicely.

RICH MUISE

Ditto on the etrailer.com referal..that was the company recommended on the Subaru forum. When I went there, they had like 6 different bolt-on hitches all specifically made for my year Outback, in stock, good price, and instalation videos to boot.
Nice reply on your setup for the '57..thanks.

Raven Rider

Thanks for all the information that really helps me to started. I'm not sure what you mean by this statement but might be clearer when I actually get started I also fab'd a 1/4" thick center bracket to support the center of the frame cross member "which is very flexible" on a 1957 Ford.  Thanks Again

John Palmer

Quote from: Raven Rider on 2014-09-07 12:22
Thanks for all the information that really helps me to started. I'm not sure what you mean by this statement but might be clearer when I actually get started I also fab'd a 1/4" thick center bracket to support the center of the frame cross member "which is very flexible" on a 1957 Ford.  Thanks Again

Sorry, but I'm not able to post photos.  A couple of photos would better answer your question.

I wanted to tie the hitch into the rear frame cross member for side loads.  I did not want just the six 1/2" bumper bolts to hold the hitch at the extreme ends.  I used a flat 1/4" plate bent at a right angle.  It attaches the center top of the hitch to the frame with a flat plate on the back side of the cross member.  You would need to take the bumper off to see this top brace.

I also welded some diagonal gussets at the corners of the hitch cross bar, to the end plates.

The rear of the Ford frame is not very substantial, IMO.  You will want to address the side loads in some manner.  About your only other option would be some kind of a diagonal brace under the gas tank, but my car sits "too low" for anything hanging down, plus I like it hidden as much as possible.