News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

great upcoming trip

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-02-17 21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

As most of you know, and are probably tired of hearing about, my wife and I go to Phoenix twice a year. This trip I'm really excited about. Instead of the 6-7 days, we're going for 10 days this time. We did a day trip to Sedona for the first time last Oct., and really loved it, so we decided to do something we never did before...reserve an upper end room there for one night. Well, even though it's offseason, alot of Sedona is already booked, and since we're bringing two adults with us, we were looking for a 2 room setup. Was I in for a shock...to me 150. is crazy expensive for a room for one night, but Sedona in the offseason was running 300-600+. Well, after looking online for hours, I found the perfect lodge up in the mountains 15 miles north of Sedona on the river. My wife decided to splurge after looking at the pics, and we've got a 2 bedroom villa, actually more square footage than our house, on the River side to boot. 300. for one night, but, hey you only live once. It's called the Junipine Resort. I may not want to go home.
Other than that, there's lots of cruises and shows the first weekend there, Monday and Tuesday is Sedona, Wednedsay is Spring training game for Rockies/Diamondbacks, maybe Thurs also. Friday is the Goodguys show in Scottsdale. Saturday we leave for home.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Enjoy (I am sure y'all will)!!! :003:
Lynn

57 imposter

Holly Smoke, That place should be at least $300.00 per night. Its beautiful. I am going to hang on to that name as we have always wanted to plan one of our trips to stay in Sedona for a day or two. so far, we haven't been able to make that work out and won't be able to this year either. Maybe next year. Better get it done pretty soon as one of these days, there is not going to be a next year. If Time permits maybe we will go thru there when we go from Phoenix to Amarillo. We like the run from Wickenberg up thru the mountains to Sedona. It pretty much burns a day but with a little planning we might be able to make it work. 

RICH MUISE

Did some more reading up on that place last night...We were hoping for a place actually in Sedona Center, but couldn't afford what we wanted. I'll let you know if it was as good as the reviews/website. Junipine is a privately owned little village of 40 or 50 condos and cabins all privatly owned and managed by Junipine. Some of the owners live there, some are for second homes, but 80% of them are rented at least some of the time. Each owner does the furnishings,interior design etc., so there can be a wide variety in upgrades from one unit to another. I guess you go with your fingers crossed, at least the first time. It's in a canyon, so no cell phone coverage, and wi-fi is apparently weak.

billd5string

My wife and I just got back from Arizona yesterday. We stayed in Cottonwood which is just south of Sedona. We had Beautiful weather, you should have a great trip!  We love that area and plan on going back later this year as well.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

RICH MUISE

A little trip feedback....drove to Flagstaff Wednesday. Nice trip good weather. saw lots of classic cars on car carriers going in both directions...mostly eastbound. One I saw heading east on a truck was a project car '57 flat black 2 dr Custom.
Thurs we were up before dawn, had breakfast, and headed south. Somebody, maybe here, recommended  if we could to drive the Flagstaff to Sedona  road which we did. I kept telling my wife I want to live here, I want to live here. That road was the prettiest drive I've been on in years. The Resort we have reservations at is on that road, so we drove into the area just to check it out. I want to live there. I can hardly wait til next week to get in there.
Friday I went to Socal speed shop and found a nice set of seatbelts for the '57. Retractable in a light gray. Hope the color works. I did not buy the underside mounting plates for them as I'm thinking my attachment points are going to be in the floor brace area, so not sure if there'd be enough room for them. I did buy the mounting hardware kits though.Friday night I went to 2 cruises on the same street, just 12 miles apart. both cruises were duds. actually didn't even get out of the car for the second one.
Saturday was a different story. After fixing a few things around the house, I went to a Rockabilly show at the fairgrounds. Really enjoyed that. Music was great, lots of women in the 50's dress posing for anybody who wanted pics...I got lots. Informal Drag racing set up  right in the parking area was really cool. I ran into a guy with a 53 Merc I had met a few years ago at the Pavilion Cruise. He's got the 4.6 dohc set up really nice. Car is for sale 50k.
A really nice surprise was seeing a white '57 ford Custom 300 there. Went over and started talking to Dick, the owner, there with his sons. Wasn't long before we were talking forums and he pointed out a 57fordsforever sticker in the back window! Turns out the car is the one Bob Boswell from Oregon, the member here who also has the Ranchero for sale,sold a few months ago! Dick is a very happy new owner. He said his only surprises have been when he finds stuff actually better than what he was expecting. As I said, Dick is one very happy new owner! Good going Bos!! It was nice to meet a new '57 owner as usual, but particularly nice to know some of the background info. I'll post some pics when I get back to Texas. Dick will be at the Goodguys show next weekend. I should mention...my opinion of the car....Awesome car. everything about it looks right. It's very solid and done right. That 460 looks at home in the engine bay.

RICH MUISE

Cont...after leaving the Rockabilly show, I went over to the Pavilion cruise thinking I might be a little early. The place was packed. As usual tons of cars covering the Gammit from ratrods to Lotus, willys dragcars to Bentlys. I spent almost 3 hours there, getting into some long talks with three or four guys. LOL...I look for the guys with dirty fingernails, not fat wallets and a silk kerchief around their neck. The Pavilion cruise is the longest continuing running cruise in the country, and the variety of rides there is incredible.
Today is a car show in the streets of  old town Phoenix. I haven't been in that area at all, so really looking forward to it.
I was hoping to get with Raven Rider this week, but left his contact info at home!

Frankenstein57

The Pavilion cruise was nice, but not to many fords there, just sayin

RICH MUISE

I was reading an article today in a monthly Phoenix auto scene magazine. They were talking about how bigthe Pavilion cruise  is in the colder months, but particularly during the big auto auction weekends, like B-J. They were saying as many as 1000 cars on those weekends, morning til late night. That's a heck of a get together for a weekly cruise.
You're right Mark, not too many Fords, but then what else is new? Yesterday there were 3 56's and 2 58's. no 57's. I'm not complaining though. As much as I like to see the '57's when there at a show, I'm sure glad they're not of the everywhere variety.

57 imposter

Right Rich.....To me it wouldn't be much fun to go to the cruise in a 57 Chevy and see 30 other ones just like mine.

RICH MUISE

went to the Goodguys show today. Being a Friday, it wasn't filled up, but I'm guessing 1500 cars. There were only  two '57 Fords.a Fairlane 2 dr htp and a Custom 2 dr. Both very nice. Oddly enough I didn't see a one '59, but there had to be at least a dozen '58's! Lots of 55's and 56's
Another OT cars that are not often seen, that I noticed..63-64 .Olds Starfires. There were four of them there!