News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

speaker replacement

Started by ptwood, 2011-03-07 10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

ptwood

Hi I just had my 57 radio refurb for my 57 Fairlane 500 63 A HT, radio looks great but when I went to install I realized the replacement speaker that was added by last owner when he put in a modern radio is too deep and will not allow original radio to fit. I never realized nor took any measurements beforehand
Looking for any ideas on where to by a replacement radio, the depth I need is a guess, the current speaker is 4" deep, I am thinking I need on the order for 2" or so..

I am looking for any ideas . Someone suggested getting an old one and re-coning it... any audio buffs out there with feedback on who might do that?
Thanks for your help.

shopratwoody

When I put a new one in mine I had no problem finding one
that fit.
I hate blocksanding!

ptwood

Hi
can you tell me where you bought it?
Thanks

shopratwoody

I picked it up at a local electronics store. It's all been changed
now with the stereo and all.
I hate blocksanding!

alvin stadel

I picked up a speaker for my 63A from radio shack, I had my original radio rebuilt, worked out fine. I catch a lot of crap for not having FM, but when I'm going down the road I like to listen to the sound of my motor and pipes, beer taste better that way too. take care, Alvin

ranchero king

on two of my 57 rancheros used a 6x9 rear speaker from mid 90s chevys works perfect

cool57

I am having my radio modernized to AM/FM with audio input (ipod or other) by Gary Tayman.http://www.taymanelectrical.com/ He sells an upgraded 6x9 speaker.

ptwood

Thank you
I found one at Advanced auto, $16.99, works great and radio is sweet!.
Only FM but the buz of old tube radio brings lots of memories back.. when I want stereo or FM etc, I have my iphone... I don't need to impress just enjoying the originality - 54 years and still working.. it's great!!
I used Bob's radio and TV in CA! paid $240, could have done FM upgrade.. but they wanted close to $500.. too steep for what I need

Lou

ptwood, could you post the address and or the phone number for Bob's Radio and TV. I would like to keep radio stock looking but up grade to FM.

Da Tinman

I like the Tayman conversion, I'm doing (finishing) up Cool57s Fairlane now and the radio is one of the coolest thing to play with.

45 watts, four channel, am/fm/ipod uses stock case and controls and works like magic. He also sells a speaker that works with stereo input that sounds great and bolts into the stock location with plenty of room for everything else.
The trouble with the shallow end of the gene pool,,, No room for depth charges.

junior58

Has anyone used the Retrosound Dual Voice Coil 6x9? Supposedly like having two speakers in one that fits in the stock location.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Mark

Junior 58 -I used a dual coil speaker in both my 57 fairlane and 64 galaxie, they sound good.  Mark

57chero

I have one in my ranchero sounds great no distortion can take a lot of watts.

junior58

I went for the Retrosound DVC speaker in the stock front location and Kicker 6x9 3 ways in the rear, sounds great.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter