News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Back Up Lights

Started by whisper38, 2013-08-26 19:53

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper38

The wiring on this ranchero is a pain,can anyone tell me which wire color comes from this switch for the back up lights, the dumbie that had it before me cut all the wires,and all the wiring sheets I have do not show how to rewire the back up lights.And to honset,I do not know if the switch in the picture controls the back-up lights.Thanks

Frankenstein57

I could be wrong here, but I think you are pointing at the safety switch for the starter.

whisper38

You are maybe right thats the reason I'm asking,I'm not sure where its at on a 57 ranchero,or what it looks like.Looked around the net,found this picture.Now to locate it.

Ford Blue blood

Looks like you have an automatic.  The switch shown has the neutral safety and the back up lights on it.  The feed for the backup lights is black and is fed from a "double bullet" connector behind the dash in the main wire cluster, that connector is located just to the right of the instrument cluster.  The wire to the lights runs straight back to them.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

whisper38

yes its automatic,I'll get out there tomorrow and try to get fat butt under there too look.thanks.Ok went and looked,the only double bullet plug i could find is a green wire and its hot all the time.And its just hanging there.

jrw429

Seems like it is "Block Assembly (transmission control neutral switch terminal)", for 1955 to 1957 part number B7AZ 7A247-A.

hiball3985

www.classiccarwiring.com. These are worth a million when trying to figure out wiring, They are BIG, easy to read and laminated. I had to rewire 50% of my Ranchero where people had butchered it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

This might help if you can make heads or tails out of it.  This is for a 58 but they are probably the same as 57s
Looks like the two terminal switch you found is for a stick shift & the one for an auto is different & I think it mounts somewhere on the column under the dash.   It does almost look like the one in your first pic though.  Maybe it is combo neutral lockout switch/back up lite switch?  Sort of makes sense.  :dontknow:
Oops... re-read this.   Yup, that's it.
Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-08-26 22:32
Looks like you have an automatic.  The switch shown has the neutral safety and the back up lights on it. 

Mind the slider at the bottom of this post or better yet copy & save the pix.

whisper38

Yeah the one for automatic is mine,the problem being now I saw that two of the wire have broken loose and the switch is attached to the u-bolt with rivlets,so now I got to undo the u-bolts drill the old switch rivlets out and get a new one in its place.Thanks for the pictures they help alot,All the books etc. I have don't even go into any repair work on them.If I may ask where did you find the drawings at and if its in a book where can I buy one.what I have is 1957 ford fullsize and thunderbird on disc,an orginal 1957 ford truck manual,and none of them come anywhere near your pictures.

Frankenstein57

All mine are stickshifts, so if you can't find one I'm sure I have some used ones you can have, Mark

whisper38

I welcome any thing you might have, here a picture of one.And they cost a little bit too much for my budject right now,and the boss lady is having a hissy fit because I want to get and electric wiper motor.

Tom S

Quote from: whisper38 on 2013-08-28 08:27Thanks for the pictures .... If I may ask where did you find the drawings at and if its in a book where can I buy one.
If you are talking to me this looks like where I got the book & here is a '57 one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Ford-Electrical-Assembly-Manual-Ranchero-Fairlane-Sunliner-Retractable-/360651393558?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53f87f8a16

BUT!  I must say that I am not very pleased with the book.  Things are very hard to find, seems that more often then not page numbers do not match up with the index if you can find the page at all.  The page numbers in the index aren't really page numbers at all.  It will say something like F928 which turns out to be on page 113.  Maybe.  Some of those 'F' numbers are cut off at the bottom of these pages & you will probably need a magnifying glass to read them if they are there.  I put on two pair of reading glasses.         
Very confusing.  The few times I have used it it seems that I end up paging thru the book until I see something that looks like what I want to see since I can't find it the usual way.
I scanned a page at a very large resolution then zoomed in & cropped sections out & enhanced those pix so you could read them.
The '58 one I got ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Ford-Electrical-Wiring-Assembly-Manual-Fairlane-Retractable-Ranchero-Custom-/161090168102?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2581b8e526

RICH MUISE

Looks like it is the same type of compilation as the trim and sealant manual. More of a collection of blueprints than  written in book form. A lot of searching and page flipping. I probably should pick one of those up just for referencing. the schematics wouldn't do me any good, as if I change my headlights to a newer style brighter type bulb, I will have exactly one electrical thing on my car that is oem ..the rear license plate light!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

whisper38

Hi Tom
the book I got from the same mickey mouse people was Assembly Manual , Poorly made repro book.Thats the problem when you are trying to find something on ream-bay,they all claim to be about what you are looking for.I may end up ordering the electrical manual.After its all said and done I may end up writng my own manual.Toilet seat repair 101. :burnout:

SkylinerRon

The pics Tom posted are for the install of a factory backup lite KIT. May not be the same colors etc as the factory install.
goodluck,
Ron.