News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rack and pinoin vs 605 gearhead

Started by wolfpupsdad, 2007-04-18 07:49

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfpupsdad

i'm planing on doing something to impove the steering on my ol ranchwagon , the old 64 kenworth log truck i drove steered easier.
heres the question , after doin alil research i've found out the rack and pinion set ups i've checked out they say ya can't use a manual transmission. my wagon is a 390 4 speed and plan on keeping it that way. i'm still waiting for a reply from gearheads on this issue , what have some of you folks done??? ya'll can't be automatic nutz.

bagboy

Hi, had both systems.R&P drives great[ google gearheads see link to HRBB]  :deadhorse:.the support bearing locates st clutch cross shaft.Hyd system would be the way to go.Again, read customer reviews at HRBB{HOT RODDERS BUL.BOARD]  :006:

wolfpupsdad

boy makes one wonder about gearheads 605 system. 

bagboy

I saw on web an AOD to FE adapter ,if you like good gas milegage.my 57 351w gets 20mpg on the road. O yea, no wonder just the facts!!

wolfpupsdad

BTW bagboy ya didn't say anything about your experience with the 605 steering box. does anyone else have any imput??

bagboy

Hi, did you go to HRBB? enter 57 ford /gm 605, sums it up.

bagboy

If you want your wagon to drive like a few years old car,go for the rack and work out the clutch problem.I have had three friends drive my wagon,all were impressed.

wolfpupsdad

thanks bag boy , i read the posts on the other forum , not to impressive. i think the rack and pinion route is the way to go, my wife says if i take out the 4 speed shes divorcing me. i'd love to see a real good close up shot of the final installation to see if that center steering support bearing is need.
  a few years ago i put a complete amc pacer clip under a 56 sudebaker hawk , worked out great, was told bye the guys that set it up that as long as you stayed under 15 degrees a center support wasn't needed. anyone have some good close up photos???

bagboy

Why not call Rick at  wurth-it and talk.HE'S A GREAT GUY 970-434-7123.And I'll bet Gearheads takes a while to reply too. Tell  rick tom sent you.

wolfpupsdad

well bagboy thats the number i've called for the last week now and all i get is some recording asking for my pass word. will keep trying tho .

bagboy

At times he has to deal with his wife's illness [web site  sums it up]. keep trying it's worth it [no pun]

RAWms

I agree with bagboy, keep trying.  His wife's issue was an accidental fall of some 5-6' a year ago+ and the bones will not mend and several surgeries; another about right now.  Rick is a good guy and stands behind his product.  r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

wolfpupsdad

UPDATE!!!!!!!! , just finished talking to rick at wurth-it. his rack and pinion can be used with a manual transmission  ya just have to go to a floor shift. the original columnshift linkage has to be deleted for the shaft modifications. the center support bracket he makes is different between automatic and manual, the manual bracke has a provision for the pivot ball for the clutch cross shaft. wolfie is a happy camper and will be order his unit next month.

60tbirdrick

Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this particular 605 conversion. I have one in my 60 Thunderbird and I absolutely hate it (not to mention the problems with it). This subject has been discused in pretty good detail on this link.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/57-ford-gm-605-p-s-wanders-bad-95741.html
I don't want to say that the 605 box itself is junk. It may be a good way to go if it is engineered correctly.