News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

"Ideal" alignment numbers for a '59

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-05-02 14:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

Hello again,

I've been reading some other threads on alignment. What have you all found to be the best numbers? I still have manual steering box, and all stock suspension. 14" wide white radials.

How much caster is considered ideal? The manual says 0-1 degree, but I was thinking more is better. 2.5 degrees would be my guess. I have the suspension all out now, and now is the time to slot the upper arm bolt holes in preparation for decent numbers.

Someday I'll do a power steering swap! I just want to drive this thing first.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Fabulous50s

I just did my alignment this past weekend. Got 2 degrees of caster on both sides. Set toe to 0, car tracks very well, but wanders quite a bit with the 0 toe. I may add some toe in and see how that works. Of course there is some slop in the recirculating ball steering box, so trying to compensate for that as well.

Any advice?

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

81TTA

In general, I try to achieve as much caster as possible to help the feel when going down the road.  The downside to that is it makes steering more difficult when you're not moving.  With a power steering setup, this isn't such a big deal.  But, with manual steering, it can make parking lot maneuvers a real workout!!

I have about 2deg dialed into the '57 (with PS) without slotting or modifying any of the stock parts.  As you've found, you'll want a little toe-in to keep the car from wandering around.  Unless your steering box is really worn out, you should see quite an improvement with some toe-in.  I don't have the manual handy right now.  I think the stock spec is something like 1/16 to 1/8 inch if I remember correctly?

lalessi1

Lynn

Fabulous50s

The camber was positive before changing anything
I'll have to go back and look, but I think I ended up with 1 degree negative.

Going to disconnect pitman and tighten the steering box tonight. See if there is any improvement. Have a digital pull scale for that.