News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

"real" weight of a 57 custom

Started by rmk57, 2009-03-16 21:09

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

The factory says 3333 lbs. with a V-8 which seems fairly light for a full framed car.
Anybody ever get there car accurately weighed ? I have a 1970 big-block Mustang
that weighs more that that.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KidKourier

I have a pink slip from 1969 on my old '57 Courier that states the "Unladen Weight" as 3,755 lbs. and was registered as Body Type--'1957 Courier with Commercial Plates (lite truck),with a 6 cylinder. KID

shopratwoody

I think that's  real light also. When I was racing my Ranchero with Lexan windows and light weight
seats I only got it down to 3780 or so. I'm sure the role cage and 427 didn,t help. The frame is
boxed on these Rancheros so that adds also.
I wonder if James ever check his before taking it apart. I would guess 3600 or so.
Ron :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

rmk57:

I weighed my 57 Custom 300 at the drags a couple of years ago.  It weighed 3700 lbs.  This is a fully upholstered, street driven car, I wasn't in it when weighed.  The non stock components were a 351 Windsor and Borg Warner T-10 4-speed.  Also, my tires & rims probably weigh a bit more that the stock 14" that came on the car.  I'm relatively sure the 351W with aluminum heads & intake manifold and headers weighs less than a 272 -312 Y-block.  I don't know about the T-10 as compared to a T-85 or the standard 3-speed.

Bob
57AGIN

rmk57

From 3300 lbs. as advertised to 3700 lbs. actual scaled weight. I wonder how they
arrived at the advertised weight. With a 460 and C-6 you gotta be close to 2 tons.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

They did that to cheat on shipping.  Cars used to be shipped by weight, not number of cars or whatever.  Since they went by the advertised curb weight, they saved a few hundred lbs per car, and maybe were able to ship another car, practically for free.  It all adds up, lol.  The white tubbed 460 powered Custom Tudor that Bob Lee took photos of at Knotts a couple years back, the owner claimed it weighed almost 4000 lbs...eek.  My non-upholstered Custom from a couple years back(yellow one) had glass fenders and hood, otherwise steel, aluminum headed 351W, C4 trans with tiny converter, etc, and flyweight aluminum wheels weighed 3670 with my big butt in it.  And I only had 8 gallons of hi test in the 16 gallon plastic fuel cell.  The car did have all of the interior except for carpet and door panels.  It had front and rear seats with all seat belts(driver and 5 passengers, lol), full headliner, full dash, gauges, etc.  I knew going in it was a heavy car, and I was totally happy with the low 11's I got out of it.  This car should be a flyweight, as I am using Crites hood and deck lid, and a pair of early glass front fenders.  As soon as I get a mold made, I will be doing a front bumper for the car.  I am hoping with the small block, to get it around 3000 lbs.  I probably will use some kind of late model construction seats, you know, a wire frame with spray in foam, and a cover stretched over it.  I checked out a Lincoln Mark VIII rear seat the other day, and I may go back and get it, not sure yet.  I am trying to get the car as light, but as comfortable light as I can get it.  Still considering building a 2X4 rectangular tube replica frame for it.  I have the tools and ability to do it, just debating on whether it will be worth the effort.  With a Mustang II front suspension and manual rack, and street 4 link and coilover rear suspension, I know I could drop 4-500 lbs just in the chassis and suspension alone.  Like I said, still thinking about it.  I know it would probably ride better, sit a lot lower, etc, just still kind of unsure which way I want to go with this ride.  If I do it, you guys will be the first to see photos of it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.