News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

UPDATE! Scoundrel Alert!

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-07-19 03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I recently answered an ad for '57 parts and found that the seller had a piece that I needed.  The seller stated the price. There was no quibbling on the price. We agreed to his asking price, which was a fair price, all things considered. We discussed shipping and how I was to pay the seller. In the last e-mail conversation, I was told by the seller that the price was now 150% higher than the price originally quoted to me, as a "magical" local person, had appeared at his door step and offered him 3 times what he quoted me, and he would not have to be bothered with shipping. So, if I wanted the part it was now at the much higher (150%) price.
This seller is a board certified, card carrying scoundrel, ( the dictionary defines Scoundrel as "an unprincipled ,dishonorable person; villain)  that has a northern New Jersey location. I've been buying and selling parts to build cars for 45 years, and have never run into someone like this. But there is a first time for everything. So be careful, and if you run across a parts seller with a northern New Jersey location, be very vigilant.

I asked a good friend of mine in another state to call this guy and inquire about some parts, as I wanted to know if in fact, he had sold the part I had called about to this "magical" local buyer that just happened to show up at his doorstep wanting the same part and willing to pay 3 times for what he offered it to me. You know where this is going. He still has it. Yes at the high price.
This guy is a on Craig's List as well this Forum. Be careful.

Ecode70D

What ever happened to "A man's word is his bond"?   There is no doubt that there are scoundrels out there. 
. Thanks for the alert. .     

RICH MUISE

If it was ebay...file a complaint. His ethics sure don't make for one I'd prepay for a part.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Thor

I think its just the way some folks operate these days. A couple years back I went to look at and buy a little Honda for one of my kids. Ad was $1500 OBO. I showed up, looked at and drove the car. Got back from the drive and was going to pay him his asking price of $1500 since I thought it was worth it. Dude wouldn't sell it to me because he had 2 other buyers coming to look at the car! I was like "I'm paying what you are asking for the car." He's statement was "I listed it OBO and someone might offer more than $1500 but he would call me if they didn't." Mind you I had just driven about an hour to see the car. I told him (not so politely) he could keep his FREAKING car, I didn't want it that bad. Dude had the gall to call me back a couple days later saying I could have the car since I gave him his "Best Offer". I again told him, not so politely, that I didn't want his FREAKING car! 

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-07-19 07:05
If it was ebay...file a complaint. His ethics sure don't make for one I'd prepay for a part.

Rich.........it was not on E bay.
I'll send you a P.M.
John

Zapato

Thor,  I've had similar experience and my reaction then pretty much mirrors yours. Probably not quite polite as you were. On the other side of the deal was selling a 70 Bronco ad went out on Friday morning and by the time I got home that morning had over a dozen calls on it. Called the first one and they came out that afternoon to look at it. I called everyone that had called and let them now I was going down the list in the order messages were left. Kid came out with mom and dad to look at it and after test driving it they wanted to low ball me. Funny thing was while they were driving it in my field got a call from a local and asked if he could look at it anyway. And when they pulled back to the house he was looking it over and offered me more than asking price if they didn't buy it and I ignored the rest of the callers. Well he being there, with cash in hand, it was tempting to do it but the fact that he was there made the family decide my price was fair and gave me a deposit. Being pre-ATM days and those horrible we're not here to provide you service bankers hours the deal was finished monday. First person bought it, I've often wondered if they might have thought having the old guy show up was part of a ruse on my side. After finishing dealing with them that Friday I again called everyone and updated them on having taken a down payment.

One thing that I've done in the past is to always take a down payment, give them a receipt stating its non-refundable and an agreed time upon date for finishing the deal. Title to be given at time of vehicle leaving not sooner. And to keep from any future legal hassles I take care of transferring vehicle registration that day. Everyone signs the agreement and we both have a copy.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

I was shopping for a used truck once and went to the dealership I bought my new car from. I found a 87 that I liked and asked the salesman what was the lowest he could let me have it for. He said $7500. I told him I was still looking and would let him know later that day. I went to another dealership in the next town and found one I liked a year newer for $6500. I told him I'd be back the next afternoon after work to pick it up. He wanted a deposit and I said no, I'll be back tomorrow after work to pick it up. I then stopped by the first car dealer and told him I didn't want his truck that I'd found another one. He got the manager and Bob the manager took me in his office, pulled out a notebook and said, if you'll give me $300 for fixing the air conditioner I'll let you have the truck for $4500. I told him no because I'd already gave my word to the other dealer. Bob didn't understand how I would do that. But I did.
The trouble you got is that the guy your talking about just lacks character.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Limey57

Sadly, greed is now stronger than honour and the motive seems to be to make as much as you can even if it means ripping off folks that share a similar passion/hobby.  I've just been stitched up by someone who was supposed to help out by shipping me a tail gate handle for my Ranchero, but that's a different rant......
Gary

1957 Ranchero