News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Zinc

Started by oldgasser, 2019-10-29 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Can anyone suggest a good Zinc additive for use with my regular oil changes for my 312 engine.
Thank you for your time.
Oldgasser ( Ron)

rmk57

Why not use an oil that's already formulated for flat tappet engines and skip the additive. There are quite a few choices nowadays from conventional to full synthetic to suit whatever type of use your engine may see.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

John Palmer

We drag raced VW's for many years with flat tappet cams/lifters.  We ran very high valve spring pressures, and also high ratio rockers to make the cam break in on new engines critical.  We always tossed a bottle of GM (a Chevrolet dealer part) zink lube for flat tappet cams.  It was an liquid additive.  I think it used to be about ten bucks a bottle.  Sorry, I do not have the part number.  Our local GM dealership always had it in stock, so it must have been a popular seller.

The last few years we raced, we gave up on the flat tappet cams and had our cases welded and machined to run roller lifters.

I see no reason why this lube would not work in a Y Block.

Swank

I threw Rislone 3X in my 292.   Just because it said it had ZDDP in it.   Added it to 10w-30.  Hasnt locked up yet.
Found it at AdvanceAuto.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

chapingo17

I run Lucas oil (engine break-in oil additive)

junior58

I run the Lucas Hot Rod and Classic oil that already has a high zinc level, so no need to run an additive.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Jeff Norwell

I am with junior58..I use the Lucas Hotrod oil or when I can find it... Brad Penn. All the additive  and zinc in each.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

I avoid the snake oils and use Driven HR 10-30. Some of the bottled additives have been proven to mess up the oils chemistry and most oil manufactures recommend not adding them..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

alvin stadel

Jim, I'm with you  driven HR 10-30 is all I use in all my cars.

chapingo17

This is great information. Will try to buy  Lucas Hot Rod and Classic oil.

oldgasser

Thank you Gentleman for your input on the Zinc related alternatives out there.
Mush appreciated advise.
Thank you all for your time.
Cheers Ron ( Oldgasser)

Ford Blue blood

I'm going to guess that once the engine is broke in (3000 + miles) the zinc content doesn't seam to matter.  I make this controversial statement based on the engine in my 36. 

It is a 351C pulled from a wrecked 72 Ranchero in 1974.  No idea how many mile were on it, not many I suspect given it was only two years old.  It was given a rattle can overhaul in 1974, started again for the first time in 1980 and has provided 140,000 reliable miles ever since.  The oil was changed regularly, no special brand, just 10W-30 at first then 20W-50 later.  It uses a quart every 1,000 miles, gives a solid 16 -17 MGP on the road.  Does not smoke or leak so I suspect it is just flat wore out all the way around.  The only issues with the engine has been two broken exhaust valve springs.

Never gave zinc a thought with this engine.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Oil and zinc issues have been going on for ever. In my opinion any oil you buy today has less zinc then a few years ago, but the PPM on the lowest amount in some oils today is still more then what the oils had in the 50-60s. Unless you have some HiPo engine with extreme spring pressures any stock motor from that era can use the newer oils. The only down side is some of the additives in Synthetic type oils don't always play well with old rubber seals.. I won't go into the Zinc Myth that started it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang