News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The big scoop

Started by rmk57, 2020-04-13 14:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

My air cleaner to to hood clearance is not a problem anymore! I pick up a used Boss 429 scoop and whacked a big hole my hood for fresh air induction. No, I didnt butcher my perfectly good original hood, it's a $40 swap meet special that needed a bit of rust repair and a  few dings taken out. I had only less than 1/2" clearance with my stock hood and that was with a 2" drop base air cleaner. I may try experimenting with different carb spacers, maybe intakes and the cold air cant hurt any. The look is starting to grow on me, I think?

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Almost looks stock... :003:  I take it that was originally a '58 hood then?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rmk57

It was originally a 57 Meteor hood. I needed something functional and with lots of hood clearance and their really isn't much choice. I didnt want a cowl as it's gm thing, teardrop isnt really a scoop, more of a hot air vent so I went with something unmistakably Ford. I dont have a lot invested in it, more of an experiment. I made a base for I just need to find some kind of foam to seal off the hood to the scoop.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

How about some of the foam tubing used for air conditioning pipes in a car?  Take the tube...make a slit in it, wedge it onto the base, and viola...you have a seal. Think that might work?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

What kind of intake are you running? I seem to have a lot of hood clearance.... I REALLY like the scoop!
Lynn

rmk57

Running a Weiand Stealth, 6 3/4" in the rear, so it's a pretty tall intake along with a 3/4" carb spacer and a 4"x 14" K&N A/F, so everything stacks up pretty high. With my stock setup it would get extremely hot under the hood and the 2" drop base air cleaner I'm sure isn't doing it any good in the performance end of it. I'd like to test the set up at the drag strip if they ever open up this year.
I think you and I are the minority for liking it and I'm totally ok with that.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Hey...I liked it too!  :003:

I got to thinking...that foam that goes around the air conditioning pipes in an automotive application already comes split I think, so that would make it easier to use. I had thought about using heater hose bit I don't thing that would give you the seal and wouldn't conform to the hood as easily either.
Was also wondering if the replacement rubber is available for the shaker hoods? If so...then could you manipulate it onto the air cleaner base and make that work? That would be the best solution I would say...a;ready designed to deal with the under the hod heat.
Just some thoughts.
Hugh
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rmk57

I was something along these lines. See this quite a bit in suv lift gates and so on, my Mustang has something like this also, has to be pretty flexible.

Well, that makes three of us then. :003:

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Yea...that would work possibly. Only things I would ask is it going to be too tall? Will it compress enough? If the fit is too tight I am thinking about the possibility down the road of causing a bit of a seam or bulge around the hood. I don't know how much space you have between the housing and the hood...but that stuff you have there is about 3/4of an inch on my Explorers. But it does compress quite a bit. And again...the heat factor under the hood...will it hold up to the heat? I would be inclined to say yes...but then there is the possibility that the material won't. There is no heat in the areas it is used on the Explorers. Nothing ventured nothing gained! Right?
I'd say go for it.

I am wondering if I might have to do the same thing as you with my hood. I am going to run a 406 tri-power on my 390. I think/hope it will fit...but if not I may go the same route you are. I will be curious to see how it runs out.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

I am another guy who hates "cowl induction" Chevy style hoods on anything other than a Chevrolet car that came with a cowl hood from the factory (68-9 Camaro, 70-72 Chevelle SS etc). I have always liked Ford hood scoops, especially 69-70 Shakers (owned 2 69 & 2 &70 Mustangs factory equipped with them), and the Boss 429 scoop, and its "little" brother, the 69-70 Cougar Eliminator, 69 Cyclone CJ, and early 70s Comet GT scoop. Also owned 2 69 Cobra Fairlanes and a 70 Mach 1 with the smaller scoop with the turn signal lights in the rear. I had considered putting an Eliminator scoop on my 59, but was pleasantly suprised to find even with a 1" thick spacer on the Performer RPM intake on the 428, and a 289 Hi Po air cleaner, I have almost an inch of clearance to the stock hood. I think the Boss 429 scoop looks great on your 57 Randy, and the fact that they are both Grabber Blue, seems fitting, as that seems to be the most common color on a 70 Boss 429 Mustang. Hopefully its worth a bit of ET at Mission.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

59meteor

Oh, and Mustang 6984, years ago I had a factory 3 2 barrel setup with the oval air cleaner on my 57s FE, and the stock hood closed just fine.
Randy, for sealing the hood to the air cleaner, maybe you could see if the rubber seal used on a Ram Air  69 Cobra Fairlane or Torino GT, Cyclone GT, or Cougar Eliminator is being reproduced, that may be workable. Or you could use the foam water pipe insulation from Home Depot. On my Fairmont drag car, I found no ET slip improvement between having the snorkle scoop sealed to air pan, vs just letting the air blow around free. One thing sealing the scoop did accomplish , was providing a resting place for a small rock from another cars burnout, to relax while it found its way into the carburater !
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Quote from: 59meteor on 2020-04-14 23:12
Oh, and Mustang 6984, years ago I had a factory 3 2 barrel setup with the oval air cleaner on my 57s FE, and the stock hood closed just fine.

Glad to have the info on that question. Gratzi! I had been studying how much I might be able/have to lower motor mounts if it didn't fit. Now I don't have to worry about it. whew! Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rmk57

My first choice for cold air induction was the Thunderbolt style with 4" ducting but there is no where to take the air from and I wasnt going to cut my grill or rad support. Second choice was like you suggested a Cougar Eliminator scoop. It would have worked pretty good, they have 2 1/4" height. The Boss scoop has around 3 1/2" height which is perfect for what I need. The Boss rubber seal is available but wont fit, plus it costs $140 and I only have around $160-170 into this including the pint of blue paint. I did copper pipe insulation and it worked out not bad.
The color is close to grabber blue but PPG calls it Ford industrial blue, like in Ford or New Holland tractors.

If this setup doesnt pan out as in no gain I'll sell the scoop and pickup a tunnel ram with a couple Holleys and velocity stacks. :003:
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Im planning on running a cold air induction... but plan to pass through the inner fenders close to the firewall.
Looks good man
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

SkylinerRon

Scoop looks great and should grab some cool air.

Ron.