News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

original steering box oil/grease?

Started by rmk57, 2020-11-20 19:37

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I took the cover off mine today for the first time I've owned the car and judging by the brownish / orangish slop in their I'd say some moisture has worked it's way inside. Only way I see to do it right would be to remove the column and flush it out. Were these steering boxes packed with grease or oil?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

I believe with grease...heavy stuff. And I do not believe you need to take it off and clean it. Flushing it and then slopping new stuff in should be good.
That is what did with both of mine...never had any issues with either one afterward. I still have about 4 gallons left of HEAVY grease in a 5 gallon Atlantic Richfield can...I'll give you some!  :003:

Joe? Gunther...?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2020-11-20 22:43
I believe with grease...heavy stuff. And I do not believe you need to take it off and clean it. Flushing it and then slopping new stuff in should be good.
That is what did with both of mine...never had any issues with either one afterward. I still have about 4 gallons left of HEAVY grease in a 5 gallon Atlantic Richfield can...I'll give you some! It's across the water from you...in Sequim area. (Dungenesss actually)  :003:

Joe? Gunther...?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Randy, talk to another Randy, he operates Steering Solutions in Port Kells (Surrey) BC. He did a complete rebuild on the steering box in my 59, and previously the PS box in my 74 F350. Both vehicles drove so much better after he went through them. If you still have the original 57 box, a 58 or 59 is an easy upgrade. I thought my 59 drove OK before I took the steering box to Randy, but once he took it apart , it was evident that 60 years had taken a toll, with pitting on the steering shaft . His work not only fixxed the slop in the box, it also made the steering effort noticably lower.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

So...are you saying that the '58/59 boxes are better than the '57'S? When I put mine back together would I be ahead to  swap mine out for one of them?s this a direct bolt in?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Hugh, the 58 up boxes are recirculating ball type, while the 57 is still a conventional worm type.
I am really not sure about your recommendation with grease. It will work obvioulsy but I reckon it should rather be a high viscosity grade oil. I will have to check the manuals.
I know that many guys update to the 58 for obvious reasons, but I have to say, the oem steering boxes in both my DR and CS still work nicely and can be adjusted to very little play.

mustang6984

If it was supposed to be oil..then I might have made a mess of mine all those years back! OOPs!

Sounds like a '58 might be the way to go then. Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Hoosier Hurricane

If you go to the '58 box, be advised that the '57 horn wire arrangement will not fit the '58 column.   John

hiball3985

57 box would use oil, 58 and later use grease. I put a 58 box in mine and it's a world of difference.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

Had a look in the repair manual and it uses sae 90w for 1957. I may give steering solutions a call and get a quote on a rebuild. Even if I did locate a 58 steering box it would still have to be gone through. To bad this wasn't closer, it looks like the same box, bolt pattern as mine at a pretty fair price to.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/d/san-jose-thunderbird-rebuilt-steering/7228088877.html

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2020-11-21 07:54
If you go to the '58 box, be advised that the '57 horn wire arrangement will not fit the '58 column.   John

Good to know...guess if I go that route I will need the horn stuff too then.

hiball...thanks for the info...wonder if I did damage to min e then? OOPs!I never noticed anything...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

Quote from: rmk57 on 2020-11-21 11:14
  Had a look in the repair manual and it uses sae 90w for 1957. I may give steering solutions a call and get a quote on a rebuild. Even if I did locate a 58 steering box it would still have to be gone through. To bad this wasn't closer, it looks like the same box, bolt pattern as mine at a pretty fair price to.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/d/san-jose-thunderbird-rebuilt-steering/7228088877.html

Sent you a P.M. about '58's
John

gasman826

TECH NOTE:  If you remove a '57 steering box, prop it up with the steering wheel up.  There is no upper seal and though it may take awhile, stinking 90W will be everywhere.  You're on notice!

thomasso

If you find a steering gear with grease in it its because the 90w leaked out and the owner didn't want to reseal the gear POA so they pumped it full of grease, not good especially with ball type gear.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

bbskypilot

My understanding is the 57 uses 600 W gear oil.  Kind of hard to find, but I got mine from Eckler's or some place like that.  When I was a teenager working in filling stations, we put grease in all of them.  But, I think the heavy gear oil is what is recommended.