News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

steering column part

Started by rmk57, 2021-02-13 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I have my steering column out of my car for a cleanup, change oil, and so on. When I was lifting the column out this fell out. Now that I'm assembling and installing it back in I'd like to find out

where this came from. Ideas?  I had the steering wheel off along with the signal switch and collar.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

thomasso

Looks to me like a thread protector from a steering wheel puller kit.  Placed on end of steering shaft to prevent damaging threads when pulling wheel.  Don't know how it could have gotten down in column though.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

rmk57

Found out what the cup was for, it must have fallen out when I took the shift lever out.  The spring and cups go into the shift tube, below the lever and keep pressure on the lever. It's needed I guess so you can't accidently upshift into reverse or park without pulling the lever back. The Ford repair manual has nothing on this.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429