News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

possible car purchase-thoughts

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-02-13 19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see where you would need to replace the rocker panel that you took pictures of.  I think I may see one spot that looks suspect.
Terry

1930artdeco

From the pics they look good. Well at least what I can see of them. The doors look decent as well. Can anyone decode the data from the pink slip? I figured the top half out:

312 engine
Built in Long Beach
And it is a fairlane

I just can?t figure out what TNSDFL5 stands for

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

djfordmanjack

imho, that looks to be a very interesting and promising project car, and it looks to be very original to start with. if what I am seeing inside the door jambs is inca gold ( pale yellow) og paint, then this is an amazing color combo with the green cloth bench seats. also I know many guys don't like 4 drs, but, this is just my personal opinion- a 1957 4dr Victoria Town Sedan is a very clean and pretty design, especially concerning all the chrome, ss trim, gold anodized side panels and said yellow paint and green interior. so this car was striking in original form, which is a good point in restoring it back to og. it is also a 312, manual, Overdrive !!! very, very nice combo to have. also an early 57, with the old style ashtray. If you are more inclined towards building engines, you could mabye build/overhaul this next to your Model A in the garage ?
In any case, all above said, if a car hasn't been driven in 25 years, and it probably even has been parked for mechancal issues. You will need to adress many, many different things. and even if you are just going for a driver quality restoration or sympathetic repair this will set you back many hundreds if not thousand of hours of labor and a lot of $. you would expect all the seals need replacement and obviously some or most of the interior. add tires, engine parts, brake stuff, ball joints, rubber bushings...you get the picture, nothing is cheap these days anymore. So just prepared for that. imo it doesn't matter at all if the base car costs 3800 or 2800, because you will be spending MUCH MORE than that in parts, labor, paint aso.... So you need to FIRST decide if you are willing into getting into all of that, and THEN negotiate the seller. you don't want to end up with a horrible, overwhelming project, only because you got it cheap. I think you get the picture.
On a side note, the rockers don't look too bad either. Personally Id' rather have a surface rusted original car with little to no zero previous repair, than a nicely painted, but cobbled together and filled with mud shiny car. Since this is located only 2 hrs from you, I would also recommend personal inspection, but be prepared, once you see it in the flesh, you will like it even better. It's a bout the 57 Ford lure.... :002: :003:

Good luck with the project and please keep us updated.

djfordmanjack

btw, the body type code on the title does not match any of the Ford codes, IIRC. you will have to inspect the original VIN tag that is on the a post ( which appears to be painted over), but the letters are stamped and you may be able to read them without scraping paint.

On some of the VIN tags you will find information right down to the transmission and rear and ratio. they are all coded letters.

if your car was inca gold originally the paint code will contain a Y, or YE if it was inca gold/colonial white. the green fabric should have the AS code. the model designation should be a 58B, and code a T ( for Town sedan). It should have an L for Long Beach assmembly.
D is 312 and 2 would be an overdrive manual.
hope that helps.

1930artdeco

Ok, after some more looking I figured out the car is a Town Sedan and not a Town Victoria. What is the difference besides the rear doors and numbers produced?

Thank you,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

SkylinerRon

Town Victoria is a hardtop. Town Sedan is a chrome post.

Ron.

1930artdeco

Thank you. I have a place to store it now if I Buy it. So getting a bit more excited😀. We will see what shape it is in on sat.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

abe_lugo

If you do get it, hopefully they have a title, right? Either way try to keep the black plates. If its non-op'd or old registration, with title that should be cool.

Or use a registration service or AAA DMV. It will save you on not having to get the black plates or YOM plates.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

1930artdeco

Yep have to keep the plates. It is in non-op right now and will stay that way for for awhile as I work on her if I get her. Although at some point I will have to switch her over to do test runs :smtree2:

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

hiball3985

Clear title before you buy it and Don't spend a dime until you get it registered in your name
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

1930artdeco

Ok...update. Looked at the car and she is a solid California car with no cancer that I could see. The rockers, up inside of the dash where the drain lines go. Floors are good up front, trunk appears solid as well. The carb is off but at least he covered it up with some rags so no rodents. It will need bodywork-not sure what the previous own hit. I mean it has some weird damage-not all that bad though. The engine is gunked up big time but i saw valves moving when he cranked it over.

He did boil out the tank-good and he bought a new rad for it. He has the carb and air cleaner for it plus hub caps and some other pieces. All rubber is toast due to age as expected. For options it has a 312, tinted glass, and electric wipers. So will think about it-what are your thoughts on the engine?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

hiball3985

The heads don't look as bad as some I've seen but they look really dry. Hard telling if thats from sitting for a long time or if it isn't oiling. Determining engine condition visually is impossible, you have to get it fired up.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

bwayne

I have a car that sat for many years and someone forced it to start. It runs but is very low on power and has varying low compression on each cylinder.  It seems to me to be a best idea to disassemble and overhaul the engine as a first job

terry_208

Quote from: bwayne on 2021-02-21 12:33
I have a car that sat for many years and someone forced it to start. It runs but is very low on power and has varying low compression on each cylinder.  It seems to me to be a best idea to disassemble and overhaul the engine as a first job

I have to ask, How many miles  have been put on the car since being taken out of retirement?  Often, the rings are stuck and need to be run awhile to free up.  Sometimes, they never free up and reseat.  I don't understand what you mean by forced to start.  Isn't every engine forced to start when the starter is engaged?  I apologize for coming off as smart a$$.
Terry

1930artdeco

Hi Terry,

It hasn?t run since about 1980, except for a few seconds when he poured gas in the carb. Not being a smart ass at all. That is why I am asking the questions. To determine if I want to take on this project at this point in time. I just had him crank it over to see if the valves moved and 90% did, which is a good sign. I am just worried about having to dump about 7-8k into her right off the bat. Just wasn?t planning on that.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan