News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vent window

Started by rmk57, 2023-10-28 14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Mine are delaminating, plus one has spider crack in it so I'd like to replace them both. I would like to avoid removing the whole assembly from the door if possible. The Ford shop manual says if just replacing the glass to use a window puller. What is a window puller and what do they look like?

Or how else can the glass be taken out in one piece.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Randy, pretty sure that the "window puller" is similar to a wood clamp, that grips the glass, on either side, but unless you remove the vent window assembly from the door, not sure how you could ever install the new glass. The factory used a rubber(ish) tape that wrapped around the vent glass, and required using a mallet to knock the glass and seal into the vent frame, so you pretty much need to lay the backside of the vent window frame on a hard surface, like wood, otherwise tapping it in will likely destroy vent window pivots.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

I set my vent window glass in with a fairly liquidy rubber compound. Can't remember exactly what it was, but it worked really well. I just let it get real messy, and cleaned it up after it set up. I used toothpicks to keep the glass centered in the channel.
The factory used tape???? not sure about that. When I took mine apart, the "sealant" was so perfectly formed to the channel, I assumed it was a moulded rubber piece. When I couldn't find a new replacement seal for it, I realized it wasn't what I thought it was.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Quote from: 59meteor on 2023-10-28 22:20Randy, pretty sure that the "window puller" is similar to a wood clamp, that grips the glass, on either side, but unless you remove the vent window assembly from the door, not sure how you could ever install the new glass. The factory used a rubber(ish) tape that wrapped around the vent glass, and required using a mallet to knock the glass and seal into the vent frame, so you pretty much need to lay the backside of the vent window frame on a hard surface, like wood, otherwise tapping it in will likely destroy vent window pivots.

Is there a place to still buy that? curious...over time I will have 6 of them to do. LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

abe_lugo

Are you just doing the vents?
I found the old Ford store and the Orange County old Ford stores CW Moss sells the tape.  I got some. But have not gotten around to doing the vents.  I sprayed one of the vents with penetrant hoping it would loosed of break up the old sealant.    I imaging the window has to be cut out.  Like when you are doing. Windshield.  Even with the window pulled.

I may get around to it sometime soon as I need to replace the side glass and grease all the tracks.

I like the note about hammering them together. I might take the wing wing assemblies off. 

I've got a hardtop.

Not that the tape to do these comes in different thickness. But the one a CW might be the correct ones for Fords.

If you go through rubber supplies like rubber the right way.  It's costly even to get samples.

Also you knew kerosene to set the rubber.
I saw a video on this on YouTube. Looks pretty straight forward.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Ford Blue blood

The guy that did my vent windows used the same urethane setting caulk used in windshields on new cars.  He put tiny rubber pieces in the top, bottom and front to keep the glass off the frame then filled the frame with the stuff, put the glass in, let it set then used a razor to trim the excess off.  Looks very nice and the glass hasn't cracked.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

The rest of the side glass is in pretty good shape or not worth the trouble of pulling the whole assembly apart. Just looking for the easy way out I guess.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429