News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Radios

Started by 59meteor, 2017-10-26 16:20

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Just wondering if anybody has installed a more modern, yet reasonably stock appearing stereo in thier 57-59 Ford. Custom Autosound lists several different radios that retain the stock radio plate, and are available with AM/FM, CD, IPods, MP3 etc. They also offer dual speakers that fit into the stock location in the dash. I see that Jerrys Classic Cars also lists a similar stereo on their website. My daily driver has SiriusXM sattelite radio, and I would like that in my 59 as well. When my car was painted, we did not drill the fender for a radio antenna, anybody tried a hidden antenna in their car.  I
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

JimNolan

My 57 came with a town and country radio. I could not bring myself to replace it with a more modern little radio with the word FORD written on the face. So, I sent it off and had it converted to AM/FM. Still the same radio, knob still turns when searching. Everything still works the same. Channels are set just like before etc. Been working great since 2005. It had the capability for 4 speakers and MP3 input etc. I just used two speakers front/back and fader switch/tone is set by running needle to one end or the other and turning one of the knobs to adjust (forget which). I've not re-adjusted it in about 5 years.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Hidden antenaes do not work worth a darn, electronic or otherwise, especially for AM. If you listen to ball games and talk radio, it's mostly AM. I had an electronic one in my car, did not work even in close proximety to a radio station. ended up installing an electric on the back fender which works great. There were some long involved threads on the Hamb with some lengthy explanations why a hidden antenae will/may work for FM, but not AM.......something to do with the way AM radio waves will only bounce once if I remember correctly, so no hidden antenae will work for am, even a regular antenae hidded under the car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I sent the radio from my Edsel to Joe's Classic Car Radio in Lauren, SC.  He took out the guts and replaced them with a 4 50 watt channel AM/FM/MP3 unit that works perfect.  The radio looks completely stock, the dial is AM only but the three of five buttons are set to my favorite stations.  It was $400 for the work.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

petew

I use a small portable wireless stereo speaker  ( Sharkk Boombox ) which i put on the seat . set my phone on Pandora and listen to whatever I want.
My car has a "converted" radio but to be honest FM today stinks .
I also use that speaker if I am working on the car in the driveway , sound quality and volume are great.

Marc

I tried a custom autosound radio in my 57 years ago, and it was a complete piece of c***. I also used Joe's Classic Car Radio for the radio in my '60 pickup, and he did a fantastic job. He'll leave it stock or add FM, bluetooth, MP3, whatever you want, at a reasonable price.