News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Looking for the best/most complete front end rebuild kit

Started by topdeadcenter, 2015-12-30 06:36

Previous topic - Next topic

topdeadcenter

Hey guys,

Like the title says, I am looking for the vendor that has the most complete and (hopefully) best front end rebuild kit for my dad's 57 Ranchero.

The Basket Case was sitting for 30+ years in a garage and EVERY rubber part is rotted to nearly nothing or is complete junk. 

Edit: We are keeping the stock manual steering set up (except maybe upgrading to a '58-'62 box)

Let me know your opinions on where I should look to get my one-stop shopping done.

Thanks!
Mike

As a side note, the plans call for Aerostar springs and a disc brake swap on stock spindles.
~The Throw-Outs C.C.~
           N.E. WI

1957 Ranchero (Basket Case)
1959 Thunderbird (Restored)
1954 Ford Customline (Mild 50's custom)

Ford Blue blood

Cantor has what you are looking for.  Check the links thread for their site info.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I just rebuilt mine. I got my Aerostar springs from Rock Auto, Moog (CC850), $45 for the pair. I used a Wilwood disc brake kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILWOOD-DISC-BRAKE-KIT-FRONT-58-68-FORD-MERCURY-EDSEL-11-ROTORS-BLACK-CALIPERS-/291280155037?fits=Year%3A1957%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item43d1a6719d:g:VnQAAOSwF1dUT8NS&vxp=mtr

I was a little afraid of the kits. I had read about inferior suspension components on the forum and kit suppliers don't tell you what you are getting. I found Moog components for upper and lower control arm bushings and upper ball joints. I didn't spend as much as some kits but it does take more time shopping and planning.

Here is a link to Kanter, https://www.kanter.com/ I think this is what Ford Blue blood is referring you to?
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

It was, thank you.  Morning coffee has not kicked in yet!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I just added Kanter to our list of supplier links...not sure why it wasn't on there previously, just one that fell thru the cracks.
Being a long time Hamb member, I'm sure you've read about the problems with suspension components having short life spans due to offshore manufacturing. Our '57's are no different. Unfortunatly imho,with alot of suspension stuff having rubber components, nos isn't usually a good choice even when they can be found. Things have changed alot even with souces that were reliable for decades.
With that said, if price is no concern, Rare Parts has lines of components they manufacture here, like ball joints and control arm shafts. I got all my suspension components from Concorse, but Classic Auto Parts and Dennis Carpenter are large distributors as well. I believe I read somewhere Moog is developing a line of "long life"components in light of all the off shore product problems. Not sure if that line has included any '57 components at this point in time.
Just yesterday I was looking thru the Jerry's Classic Cars online catalog and was thinking, or wondering, since he caters to $100K+ upper end restorations, if he has different and posibly better sources for the stuff he sells. If you talk to anybody there, give us some feedback.
Also, a head's up....the body to frame mount kits are all made by Dennis Carpenter, regardless of who sells them. When they are out of stock, usually so is everyone else, so I'd suggest getting that kit asap so you don't have to wait a year for them to make a new production run like I did.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/blog/where-are-moog-parts-made/

Rare Parts bought a lot of the Moog US tooling but last I heard they are having the parts made off shore now. These days you never know what you are getting.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Rare Parts pricing is through the roof! I bought Moog through Rock Auto...not bargain basement stuff but it seemed reasonable.
Lynn

topdeadcenter

I just bought this kit.  Seems like it has everything needed and the price is decent.  Obviously I am taking a risk with the quality of the parts, but the way it sounds I am taking that risk anywhere I buy from.

http://stores.a-resto-parts.com/1957-1958-ford-ranchero-retractable-hardtop-sedan-delivery-station-wagon-new-front-end-suspension-rebuild-kit/

Mike
~The Throw-Outs C.C.~
           N.E. WI

1957 Ranchero (Basket Case)
1959 Thunderbird (Restored)
1954 Ford Customline (Mild 50's custom)

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the info. Let us know what you think about the kit you're getting from them, and if there were any issues..... I'm going to add them to our links list/ebay version.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe