News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

front fenders

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-01-13 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

When we were discussing rear fender length a few days back I got to wondering about the front fenders. It's my understanding that all front fenders, whether it be ranchero, custom or fairlane are all the same (except for the obvious diferences in trim holes. Am I correct? I was also curious about doors for the Ranchero...same as the 2 dr custom or ranch wagon?
and just a side note...if anyone has been wondering what happened to CanadianRanchero...Gary has a new job that keeps him away from his computer most of the time...and I'm guessing his 4.6 into the ranchero winter project...I sure miss his input.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Rich,
   From what I've seen in the last 10 yrs. Fenders are the same. As for doors, I'd be curious knowing that one. Example, can you put a custom 2dr. door on a fairlane 2dr. sedan. All the indiacations I've seen is that the door back on a Custom and Fairlane are the only difference. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

I have a door from a custom I parted on my Ranchero.  I have a HT door on the drivers side but it won't clear the latch, other than that it fits.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Bill, I'm confused...a hardtop door on a ranchero? I'm assuming you meant something other than what you typed??

rmk57

I thought the Ranchero, Custom and 2-door wagon's had the same doors, everything else had shorter doors from the bottom of the post to the roof sill.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Hoosier Hurricane

The doors have different part numbers, as do the door skins between the Custom and Fairlane series.  Quick and dirty measurements on my Ranchero and Fairlane 2 door show the lengths of the door and the height of the window opening to be awfully close.  But the length of the window frame (front to back) seems to be almost an inch longer on the Ranchero.  I would have thought the Fairlane would be longer.    John

Ford Blue blood

Rich I am seriously looking at building the Ranchero that Ford should have built.  A Fairlane 500 Ranchero.  I have the fit and finish for the 500 fins nearly 6 packed out, the stainless for the windshield trim is in house (need to chop the top about 3/4") along with the 500 windshield, have 2dr doors, the vent windows, still need the window frames and to six pack engineer the door jam/roof rail seal (flippers or weather striping of some sort).  All of this thinking makes my head hurt, the amount of time and work required to pull it off will eventually determine which way I go.

John, forgot, the 500 door bolted right up and aligned perfectly.  The jam is totally different as is the shape of the top of the door.  With the latch removed from the door and the jam it closed all except the very last 1/4" due to the top of the door "dipping" and touching the top of the Ranchero jam.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Bill,you know how I like different! sounds like a project. I'm not sure I understand what you want to do with the doors..a frameless hardtop version?
The other thing Ford didn't build that should have is a custom convertible. Maybe my next project.

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

cool57

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2011-01-15 09:33
Rich I am seriously looking at building the Ranchero that Ford should have built.  A Fairlane 500 Ranchero.  I have the fit and finish for the 500 fins nearly 6 packed out, the stainless for the windshield trim is in house (need to chop the top about 3/4") along with the 500 windshield, have 2dr doors, the vent windows, still need the window frames and to six pack engineer the door jam/roof rail seal (flippers or weather striping of some sort).  All of this thinking makes my head hurt, the amount of time and work required to pull it off will eventually determine which way I go.

John, forgot, the 500 door bolted right up and aligned perfectly.  The jam is totally different as is the shape of the top of the door.  With the latch removed from the door and the jam it closed all except the very last 1/4" due to the top of the door "dipping" and touching the top of the Ranchero jam.

My plan too! as well as a two door FL 500 wagon (Nomad-ish), but like my other projects.....................................I may never get around to it.

Hoosier Hurricane

Back in the late '50s/early '60s a guy by the name of Jack Simon from Tx made a Ranchero from a Fairlane 500.  It was featured in Hot Rod.  At a local car show about 10 years ago was a car called a "Merchero" showed up.  I couldn't decide whether it was a Ranchero with a '57 Merc front clip, or a Merc with a Ranchero rear clip.  Beautiful car, I have a couple pics of it somewhere.

RICH MUISE

Bill...Hoosier got me wondering if I got your plans correct...I took you to mean you were starting with a Ranchero and adapting fairlane design features to it rather than making a Ranchero out of a fairlane. I'm curious why you decided on that path rather than the fairlane conversion...the later seems like it would be easier..especially if you started with a retractible. Of course it would almost be sacriligious to "destroy" a retract whether you like them or not.Then again maybe a retract Ranchero?...talk about engineering!!   Rich

cool57

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2011-01-16 05:55
Back in the late '50s/early '60s a guy by the name of Jack Simon from Tx made a Ranchero from a Fairlane 500.  It was featured in Hot Rod.  At a local car show about 10 years ago was a car called a "Merchero" showed up.  I couldn't decide whether it was a Ranchero with a '57 Merc front clip, or a Merc with a Ranchero rear clip.  Beautiful car, I have a couple pics of it somewhere.

The Mercero was a 2 dr. H.T. Mercury wagon converted using Ranchero parts. It was owned for a few years by Joe Kamp of Peoria, IL. I believe he sold it; to whom I do not know.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-01-16 09:15
Bill...Hoosier got me wondering if I got your plans correct...I took you to mean you were starting with a Ranchero and adapting fairlane design features to it rather than making a Ranchero out of a fairlane. I'm curious why you decided on that path rather than the fairlane conversion...the later seems like it would be easier..especially if you started with a retractible. Of course it would almost be sacriligious to "destroy" a retract whether you like them or not.Then again maybe a retract Ranchero?...talk about engineering!!   Rich

I'm starting with the Ranchero, have it, solid except the usual pans/rockers/bottom of the front fenders.  Bed is close to perfect, (had a gentle former life), with a perfect tail gate.  Want it to look like a Ranchero with the suttle changes.  Still conflicted if I want to "restore" the body or do the mods.  390/tri-power/4speed od/disc/62Bird seats and column/64 steering box.  I will have to make up my mind soon as it is getting close to not have any parts left to gather!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

alvin stadel

This sounds like a great ride, but all this cutting welding and matchin up makes my head spin. About 10 years ago I had a very rusty 57 rag top and rather nice 2dht , cut them both apart transplanting all the convert parts into hard top. This didn't happen over nite, about 6 years later a was driving a very nice ride and still have it. White with a very bright red bucket seat int, tags say X572dht, was it worth all the trouble , yes it was. we love it.