News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bad paint day!!

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-05-25 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Yesterday was just a plain bad paint day! For those of you that had been following my "finally-gettin'-paint-on-my-car" post, you will remember I had originally painted my roof all the way down below the windows, and I was going to do a pinstripe around the cabin just below the windows, hard masking it at that point so I wouldn't have any blending to do. Well, when preping the car for the lower paint I found a flaw in the new upper paint on one side that was right inside that pinstripe area, so I decided to forgo the pinstripe, rework the flawed area and blend the paint. Frankly I did a halfass job on the blending, so yesterday I went back and tried to redo one area I wasn't happy with. Well, I used a small detail paint gun, and I ended up with the paint not blending color-wise, and for the first time ever, I got fisheyes in the clearcoat. F***!!!OK...took a deep breath,walked away from it for a day and analyzed what I did wrong, or at least differently, than I had been doing and started in on it again today..in an hour or so I'll know how I did. If this doesn't work I'll have to give some serious consideration to a Watson-style panel paint job (just kidding..I hope).  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

OK...great paint day!!! perfect blend, no fish eyes...now on to the other side. :003: :003: :003:
This was my first attempt at blending a metalic paint...a whole lotta difference from blending a non-metalic...you actually have to pay attention to what you're doin'. I was successful only because I had just done the original spraying, knew what I had done originally (how I had the gun set, distance, etc.). I have a whole new respect for body shop painters.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

**** happens. You really gotta think this stuff out. I won't let ANYbody hangout while I'm shooting a car.
I've done many many and never seen a perfect paint job. Good ones, but not PERFECT :004: Should have masked
the bottom half of the car and not worried about striping till the job is complete.
I hate blocksanding!

Zapato

Glad you pulled it off.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72