News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ready to go to Hebron

Started by JimNolan, 2011-08-30 08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'm packed. I've got tools, air compressor, tent, chairs, log book, shoe polish and a good tire guage. The tire guage I was using read 6 lbs. too low. That means I was trying to go through the quarter mile at Osceola with 38 lbs. of air in the rear tires and using only the primary of a four barrel carburetor. Hopefully I'll be able to get out of the 17 second bracket when I get to Hebron. Not that it's going to help me win anything, it just might help to not be humiliated when a stock 272 Y-block with a fordomatic goes quicker than I do. I'm hoping for the 15 second bracket because if I have John next to me at the starting line I don't want him to doze off waiting for his light to turn green. Maybe he could do a crossword puzzle while waiting.
  Anyway, I'll try to be there around noon Thursday to meet up with you guys. Jim  PS The little white poodle is named Buffy, and no, you can't take her home with you.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Due to unforseen issues, I wont be able to go this year.  As some may know, my wife has been trying to settle her late mothers estate, and the last item us her house in Morehead City, NC.  If this sounds familiar, it is because hurricane Irene just directly hit there.  From what we can gather, there is no significant damage, so the deal goes on.  Because the house is unoccupied, the insurance company cancelled the policy.  Yep, no insurance.  And Katia is on the way across the Atlantic as we speak.  We are trying to get this deal done asap so it can pass to new owners and get insured before something bad happens.   The current plan is to get thus Custom painted and running this yr, so I can get to Columbus before everything is powered by electric motors.  Gonna miss you guys this year again, have fun.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

Hope it all works out James. That no insurance seems like B.S. :004:
I hate blocksanding!

shopratwoody

Jim,
Sounds like me. I used to pull 2 tralers with the Motorhome. One with the car and one for tools
etc..extra slicks, drum of R/gas etc. :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Ron,
   I'm not going to say never but for right now I'm just going to shift early, not try to beat my car to death and have as much fun with it as I can. As far as what I bring is concerned, if I don't have room for it in the car, it aint coming. If I towed it I'd miss not getting to drive it over there. If I don't get to race it Sunday, I'll put it in the Show. It's going to be a winning weekend no matter how well I do. Jim      PS. I'm sorry I won't get to see you James. But, I'm coming to Gulfport to visit you in October. Hope the house sells in Morehead City.

F570RD

No fuzzy dice through tech! :002:

JimNolan

I ran at Osceola with fuzzy dice. What a bummer. I thought Osceola was strict when they said I couldn't run with one arm hanging out the window. That's OK, I can save weight by not having them in there. LOL  Jim

shopratwoody

Jim,
Shifting a little early might be good. Keep it in the torque band. :002:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Jim & F57ORD:

Interesting comment about the fuzzy dice.  When I ran my 57 at the Fun Ford Weekend events, the tech inspectors didn't say a thing about my dice.  My dice were below my line of site, but in the photos taken while I was under acceleration, the dice were swinging backward toward me.

Bob
57 AGIN

JimNolan

Ron,
  I plan on 4000 rpm. I've had it up to 4800 rpm before but it was straining. The only difference between my engine and a stock 390 truck engine in 1976 is I've got the cam straight up using aftermarket crank and cam gears instead of retarded 4 degrees. The 360/390 used the same cam. It was just as good a cam as the 300hp/390, maybe a little bit better. Anyway, I'm still running a truck engine that listed its max horsepower at 4400 rpm and max torque at 2500 rpm. I'd think 4000 would be safe enough to not hurt it and still keep me in the top of the torque band when shifting. Jim  PS If Bob can do it, I'll try it. They can tell me to take the fuzzy dice out if they don't like them.
Bob,
   I helped my painter hang doors, fenders, trunk and hood after the first base coat. He said after he finished the final base coat he'd have to take it back apart and clear everything and assemble it again. He's expecting to be finished painting this weekend. I told him you and I were in a race to see which one of our cars stayed in body shop jail the longest. That didn't amuse him. Also, the price went up another $1000.00. He told me the paint I'd choosen was $962.00 a gallon. That's 8K I'll have invested in body being stripped to bare, some body work, block sanding, windows and rubber trim (I bought rubber) installed. I still feel like I'm getting a bargin. It will be a nice paint job. Jim

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Bob,
   That's odd, my dice hang limp from the rear view mirror. If anything they swing forward during hard acceleration. I think it is the difference in power that our cars have. LOL Jim

Jim & F57ORD:
Interesting comment about the fuzzy dice.  When I ran my 57 at the Fun Ford Weekend events, the tech inspectors didn't say a thing about my dice.  My dice were below my line of site, but in the photos taken while I was under acceleration, the dice were swinging backward toward me.

Bob
57 AGIN
[/quote]

RICH MUISE

"they swing forward during hard acceleration"...that's funny....reminds me of the flame job I was trying to get my wife to let me put on her Scion XB..I wanted to do flames all around the car at the bottom, with the licks going upwards.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

That would be appropriate Rich, lol.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.