News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door weatherstip troubles???

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-11-19 18:59

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Has anybody had problems aligning their doors with a new weatherstrip? I totally assembled the drivers door while I had it on the bench because it's much easier to get at everything. The problem I'm having now is I can't get the door to go in far enough so that it is flush with the other body surfaces...by 1/2" at the handle end...and 1/4 at the hinge end. I have the striker plate moved in as far as it will go without modifying the mounting holes.It's almost like the weatherstrip is too thick..I'm sure it isn't, but that's the affect I'm getting. I believe I have the new rubber installed correctly, but there is one area below and forward of the wing window I have to compare to another '57 to make sure I'm on the correct step. It's where the weatherstrip fattens out for about a foot or so right at the corner of the door.

I think when I do the passenger door, I'll leave the weatherstrip off until the door is on and adjusted, then add it. Maybe that's the way it's suppose to be done.

Anybody out there got any tricks for this?? I think I've got the door fairly close to where it should be up and down and in and out as far as the hinges go, but as I said it just seems like the new weatherstrip needs to be squished a bit.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

hi Rich,     i'm sure i' ve seen this posted before,    the weather strip seems to thick!!!!!!!!!!!!!,   iif i remember correctly,   it has to settle in,  might take awhile,   someone will probly be able to tell u where the post is at,  and you can get a better idea of whats happening,   jerry

JimNolan

Rich,
   For show purposes they shave new door seals with a razor blade to enable the door to fully close. Or, you can do what most people do and leave it like it is. You should still be within an 1/8" of closing correctly. I was able to get my doors fully closed after 2 1/2 years. Jim  PS. You'll periodically adjust the door for the next 2 years. The BIGGEST difference comes early.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

suede57ford

I recently did the door weatherstrip on my 70A.   It was very difficult to shut the door for quite a while.  The first 2 weeks you have to leave the door closed as much as possible, the weatherstrip will eventually collapse in the tight areas.

Intitially, leave the striker out some, then keep moving it in as the weatherstrip seats,

The repo(carpenter) weatherstrip is actually made wrong.  Too thick in some areas and too thin in others and some almost solid foam in areas that was soft from the factory.   I have several original cars so I was able to compare what it should have been.

I have considered sectioning in a thicker section near the vent window, as that is made too thin, and can still wind leak.   The really firm area is on the horizontal area of the dogleg and it has one really rigid section molded in by the door handle area.  Just anothe rareawe have to be glad at least they tried to make something for our cars.

I did my doors 9 months ago and now they close and sound just right. 

I always make sure the doors are fully closed when I park them so it continues to form and does expand back out.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Meteorman

Rich  yeh those door seals can be a problem alright ive seen it many times over the years usually on older type cars,we would normally fit the doors first  then put the seal on and be back to the problem, but you know then the problem is the seal.  I have seen them put on wrong many times (done it myself),check they are not on back to front, meaning they should be on the opposite door.   lots of them are just not soft enough. try some type of spray to soften them up. maybe some other members have got some from a different supplier that are softer. good luck,  Harold

57chero

I had the same problem when I was doing my ranchero, with the door panels and stricker plates off  I attached a ratchet strap to the inside of both doors and slowly pulled them in till it was about an 1/8" farther in then it needed to be and left it for about a week.Then I put the stricker plates back on and adjusted the door to shut where it should be.It was still a snug fit but at least it shut ,it gets easier with time.

Zapato

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Great replies....This is the kind of thing this website is so great for. In the 2 years I've been on this website, I had never seen anything posted on the problem, so my first thought when I realized what I thought was happening was that it must have been something I was doing wrong. Thanks for all the input.
Pat....It is the heavy horizontal area of the dogleg you described better than me that appears to be the main problem.
Regarding the striker, I'm thinking I have it pushed back too far...I got to thinking the starwheel probably should be grabbing the second "gear tooth", and it's only grabbing the first. I can push in on the door 1/4" or so after it grabs the first tooth, but not far enough to grab the second, so later today I'll try moving the striker outboard a little, and if that doesn't let it grab the second tooth, I'll use the ratchet as '57chero suggested, then readjust the striker after the seal conforms better.
Thanks guys.
Rich

62galxe

some of the problem could be the weatherstripping itself. On the 61 to 66 trucks we have found the imported stuff to be to stiff. Everybody that has used the dennis carpenter made seals have had no door problems. Dont know if this applies to the 57s or not.

RICH MUISE

Mine are Dennis Carpenter. Also, if I was aware I was going to have this problem, it sure would have been easier back when our daily temps were in the 100's...we all know how rubber is when it's cold.

JimNolan

On the 57 I used Dennis Carpenter and I used Dennis Carpenter for my 63 Galaxie. On both cars you couldn't get the door shut at first. The 63 has really surprised me, I can almost get the door where it suppose to be after three months. I thought Dennis Carpenter made all rubber products for early Fords. In fact he holds the tooling rights on a lot of his products. I've ordered from Jerry's Classic Cars, Greg Donahue, Dearborn and other places and the rubber products come in a Dennis Carpenter box. Some are even dropped shipped from them. I ordered some floor plugs from Dennis Carpenter the other day and it came in a Dennis Carpenter plastic bag with the words "made in China" written on it. I guess plugs aren't that important or it could mean the wave of the future is now in the present. Jim

JimNolan

At car shows when someone said " your door isn't adjusted correctly" I'd always tell them " I'm sorry, it's not for sale". In fact, I've used that line numberous times. Jim

KidKourier

I also used a rachet strap like 57chero,tightened just enough to flush doors and left on a week,pushing car out in the sun day to day,tighting if necessary.Now she shuts like a new car,no air leaks or whistles when driving or water leaks when washing her. On Dennis Carpenter,if you have one of his new catalogs,he states that some of his parts are being made in China so that he can stay competitive if he didn't hefeels that no one would buy them at the prices he'd have to charge! I guess I'd rather modify a part to get it to work than not have one at all,kinda how hot rodding started. KID

Meteorman

Forgot to mention a company called soffseal makes the best seals by far, dont know if they make them for 57 fords, we have bought them for lots of other models,web site is www.soffseal,com.  If not maybe they will consider making them if it looks like theres enough interest.

rmk57

I put mine on about 2 years ago and I'm at the point where I can close the door from 3 inches away with a gentle push. They do get better with age. How did they get them to close nicely from a factory fresh 57?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429