News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

5.0 swap Ranch Wagon

Started by hogwagon, 2011-12-10 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwagon

We found a front sump pan and oil pump with pickup new and it is here so it looks like after Christmas when things settle down we are going to get back to this project. The Borgeson power steering box looks next so when we pull the engine back out I am at least going to remove the old box while I can get my fat a..... in there. Any feedback on anyone using the borgeson unit here?

suede57ford

My Ranch Wagon will be a similar set-up as what you are doing.   Its got a 5.0/AOD 4whl discs and I bought the Borgesson Box.   I hope it works good.

I just made the original 17.5 steering wheel into a 16" wheel, by welding on a smaller hoop from a 67 Dodge on to the original center.   I am smoothing out the voids and building back up by using 3M Panel Bond 8115 Adhesive mixed with fiberglass fibers.  The Panel Bond is one of the best steering wheel repair materials and adding the fiberglass fibber ensures it will not ever crack.  All crack must be "V" out to the bottom of the crack, or they can ghost back though.

This is the second wheel I have done this way.   It enables me to use the stock horn ring, and still looks proportional, yet comfortably smaller.  I built this same size wheel for my '57 T-bird several years ago and it still looks perfect.  The only draw back is it takes a bunch of time to repeatedly fill, let dry and sand until perfect.  The results are worth it to me.  I also use a '59 wheel cente ras I always use '59 style steering columns so I can still have a horn, even with a ragjoint to the Borgesson box.

There is a company that makes an even smaller aftermarket version on eBay.   It is advertised for a 57 T-bird, but will work on our cars.  It advertised at $350, but comes with their verson of a horn ring. Not a bad deal for those with poweresteering and want a more modern wheel.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

hogwagon

Thanks for the info on the steering wheel. since I'm not there yet I hadn't considered  it yet. i don't think I will let the horn button dictate what else happens but would like to use the stock column and possible the 3 spd manual shifter linked to the AOD. I have access to a vertical mill and lathe so small mountains seen climbable. I stripped a 87 Crown Vic wagon and kept the column and linkage to the factory steering box as fab parts if usable.