News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

electric antenna

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-01-20 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok i was warned,  but didn't take any ones advice,   i've been working all day installing one,  will say,  i did have a nice setup,   and then i couldn't get it to work,   it had 3 wires,  black, and off hand don't remember the others,   it said to hook up to the car radio, which i didn't do,    i tried it first directly to the battery,  nothing happened,   i would think the direct hookup would have made it work?????????????????,   any opinions out there,  maybe i did something wrong,         just anothere one of thse days when i didn't have anything to do,     thanks      jerry

[attachment deleted by admin]             update:,          heres a final picture of my electric antenna setup on top of the ridge in front of the mirror on the right fender

Lou

geraldchainsaw

ok,  i just wrote to Zap,  and this is what i told him/.    chedcked out the hookup,  did a few things wrong,  1st,  black wire ground, period,          2nd,  on the + side,  the other 2 wires red & blue,  i can get it to work  back and forth,   red & blue it goes out,  red alone and it goes back in,    can't figuer out how to hook it up to a switch,   do we have any electrictions on the forum that might know how?,     thanks   Jerry 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zapato

Gerry, going to be quick as I'm headed to class this morning. And probably not much help. Is your radio a stocker or a late model/aftermarket unit? Newer stuff should have a lead marked antenna and the radio will raise and lower the antenna when you turn it on and off.If so no need for a switch its there already. Hopefully you paperwork on both units and can make sense of it.

Anyone out there close to you that can help you figure it out? I'm sensing you're in one of those times when one needs to walk away think of anything else. Then come back and reread all your instructions then go back out and attack it. Forget what you've done so far and start fresh.

Good luck, I'll check back in tonight when i return from school.

Zap-  :unitedstates:

You might also consider going over to the HAMB board and do a search on antenna install/wiring. Smart money would bet its been covered there more than once.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

Jerry the easies way will be to get a double throw/double pole/momentary.  It will have six post on it.  The switch can be wired as such and should do the job.  If you radio had an antenna up line out let me know and I will post a diagram for a relay setup that will eliminate the switch.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

thanks guys for the info,    i'm in one of my dumb modes,     read the directions,   looked at my after market radio,  found a antenna wire for hookup,    and its explained in the directions how to use it,   i was never good at reading directions,  have to read them over and over and over before i understand them,   thnink io might have it this time,   will let you know what happens,   thanks   again     jerry

[attachment deleted by admin]

geraldchainsaw

update,    i came to me in a flash,    sometimes something so simple,       ok,  black is ground (naturally),    red & blue go together on the + side of battery or any constant hot wire,   all u have to do is break the blue wire with a switch,  and walla,  done,    of couirse using fuses in the right spots,       i think i'm finally finished,   thanks for all the help,        PS,   JP let me know if this is any better picture wise,   of course i'm using a old picture                                 thanks    jerry

Ford Blue blood

Jerry glad you got it!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II