News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Why do you think people prefer Chevrolet

Started by JimNolan, 2012-01-21 10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Quote from: JimNolan on 2012-01-24 13:32
James,
   Under the heading "Started By" in the list of Threads would you please remove my name and type in "unknown". I've already gotten three death threats and I think someone poisoned my cat. LOL Jim

Best laugh of the day, thank you Mr.Nolan. sorry about the cat.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Zapato

There has been an ongoing discussion in one of the Mustang magazines about Ford losing market share in the mustang/camaro/charger segment. The most common or prevalent explanation is Fords' limited and bland color selection. Most buyers in that group want FLASH as much as performance. They want to be noticed. In Fords limited color selection there is little FLASH. Hard to argue but if one looks at paint colors thru the 50s and 60s and the customs being built then more often than not the painters went to the GM color spectrum. Its almost as ole Henry's line (mentality) you can have any color as long as its black is still part of the mantra in Dearborn. Color will sell a car, and the wrong one will keep it on the lot.

IMHO one of the worst colors ever was that "salmon" found on various makes in the 50s. I parted out a 58 Fairlane because of the color. A good buddy of mine had a 56 sedan delivery ,white over salmon , that he almost junked because the color. Earl Scheib and his basic $29.99 paintjob saved that car.

Ford can regain market share by using colors that excite buyers.  Not too many buyers, regardless of income, want to drive away from a dealership in a car that doesn't get noticed by others. Plain and simple our choice of cars reflect our personality or how we want others to see us. My guess is that few car buyers want to be seen as one with one foot in the geriatric ward.

Brand loyalty always fails to beauty and presentation.
Zapato

RICH MUISE

I guess when you think about it we should be grateful so many others prefer chevies or we'd never be able to find decent project cars. There seems to be so few of them out there it makes you realize there never will be the availability of secondary market parts because of low demand. I often wonder why that is since ford outmanufactured chev at least in 57.
Along the same lines I am curious what you guys are using for your daily drivers. Last month we started looking for a new car for my wife. As Zap brought up, we have "one foot in the geriatric ward"..my wife just can't get into many cars easily..LOL I even had her try an '0'12 Mustang...she put one foot in, croutched a little, and said nope. We really wanted to give the big three a shot, but it just didn't work out and we ended up with an '0'12 Camry. To my surprise, the Camry is made in the USA..assembled in Indiana...only the engine is Japanese. LOL..according to the window sticker, the Camry is made from 75% made in USA parts, 15% elsewhere..(I wonder if my car is missing 10% of it's parts)
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Rich,
  As far as a daily driver is concerned I have three vehicles. A 1999 Chevy pick-up, a 1957 Ford Fairlane and a 1963 Ford Galaxie. The truck had 3,000 miles put on it last year. The 57 celebrates it's third birthday since the frame off in April of 2009. At that time the odometer was zeroed and now it has 30,000 miles on it. The 1963 has just completed restoration this January so not too many miles have been put on it. The 1999 pick-up is my daily driver. LOL Jim  PS  The cat died.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

My daily varies, depends on the weather.  I prefer the 08 Shelby for longer runs but mostly use the F150.  My wife has her 05 Bird and runs the wheels off it (42K mostly local).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

shopratwoody

As far as the Ford Chevy thing goes I've had Fords for 65 years
and my friends are Ford folks.When we were young Fords ruled around
here. There's a few strays for sure. We didn't like 6 cyl cars.
And no you will never catch me in a Camry....the profit still goes to the Japs.
My daily is a 78 Ranchero GT. Since I retired gas milage isn't important to me.
Girlfriend drives a MBZ. She bought it :003:
I hate blocksanding!

RICH MUISE

I was on the "buy US" bandwagon for years, and I sure understand the keeping the profits here thing..but I'm sure also hearing of the building of factories in Mexico and Canada by at least some of the big three (GM in particular), for building cars to be sold in the U.S.. Keeping the profits here is nice, but using bailout tax dollars to build factories outside of our borders isn't too keen in my opinion...I'm more interested in the companies that keep their jobs hereI'm aware they don't pay what Detroit did in their heyday, but at least they're jobs.
We could probably argue this forever, but there is no easy solution.
My wife still works and commutes 60 miles a day to the Pantex nuclear facility, so the 35mpg in a family size sedan with a 5 star crash rating became important.
Besides...my wife's money...her car..her decision...I was just tickled to death she didn't chose the prius.
Jim...wasn't it nice of me to divert the heat from you? LOL
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich, hope your cat is doing ok.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

JimNolan

Rich,
   I appreciate that. I sure my dog Buffy appriciates it to. I can't loose her. LOL Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

My daily is my 61 unibody pickup...Yeah Bill and Glen, I drove the suburban up there the other day, but thats the exception, not the rule.  I put about 11000 miles on my uni last year...not bad.  Wife drives a fullsize Ford van.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

James you know you'll be on the dark side until that Chevy goes....... :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

My wifes daily driver is an 04 Ford escape, I take my service van home every night so my vehicles hardly get enough miles on them to change the oil. I have an 01 F-150, 87 t-bird. The T-bird doesn't get driven in the winter, repainted it 15 years ago, still turns heads as most of them are rotten around here. :004:   Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

My most-driven daily driver is a '57 Ranchero.  Next would be the 289 Ford powered '53 Studebaker.  Then there are the '56 and '57 T-Birds and the '63 427 Galaxie.  I don't drive much anymore since I'm retired, only got down the the Galaxie once last summer.  Wife's daily driver is a 2000 Chrysler miini van.  She also has problems getting in and out of cars, no longer can drive the older ones.

John

Alex L.

My DD is a (Gasp!!) Chevy Cavalier. I have it because, well, it's a cavalier. Honestly, it was my mothers and she got a van for work and i took over the payments and now i paid it off and own it. For my DD i'm not really picky about what i drive, as long as it works, is good on gas and the parts are cheap.

As for why Chevy vs. Frod popularity stuff. I think it is due to personal influences just as much. I used to be a chevy guy, i worked at a chevy dealership, my cousin was a chevy guy and i liked chevy's. Got the 57 and now i seem to like fords, i guess i am easily influenced.