News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Do I have to learn everything the hard way?

Started by 57 imposter, 2014-04-02 20:31

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

Way back when I bought the 57 sheet metal for my project, the guys who would be doing the finish body work told me I should have the fenders with the car when replacing the lower rear panels. I bought panels and a friend of mine said it would be no problem and would do all the rust repair and install the patch panels. Needless to say when I hung the front sheet metal, the fenders were off by about a mile in the rear. The body shop guys came by yesterday and said" Do you remember me saying anything about not putting those panels on without fitting them to the car?" To which I said "Well, I do now!" My job for tomorrow is to call EMS and get two new panels coming. Another $200.00 lesson.

Ecode70D

With all due respect, I'm sorry to say this but that's a hard lesson to learn.
   Maybe some others who are reading this thread will learn something from this also.
   When fitting patch panels to doors, fenders and hoods, they have to be done on the vehicle so you can make your necessary adjustments. 

Zapato

Its times like this (and I experience this on a regular basis) that I remind myself that with adversity comes growth. Or at least it builds character.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Before you spend any money can you cut off what you did and either trim or add a filler panel? Sleep on it solution might be right before you.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Sorry to hear that, Doug. I'd give what Zap suggested some thought. Those are pretty small sections, how far off can they be? Without seeing what your friend did on the patch, I would think they could be salvaged.
With that said I'm hoping I don't have the same problem, as my lower sections on the front fender were also done off the car, and haven't really been fit checked yet..at least the driver's side hasn't. I did have the passenger side on for a short time, and it lined up pretty well. I made shape templates that I made before removing the rusty section, and kinda did my fit check with those.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

With all do respect, I'm the one that learns the hard way, no way are you taking that one from me, I've worked extra hard for that title. HRD

gasman826

I done learn the hard way...I learn the expensive way.  The more it costs the more that lesson is burned into my little brain!!!!!!!!!

57 imposter

Quote from: Zapato on 2014-04-02 21:52
Its times like this (and I experience this on a regular basis) that I remind myself that with adversity comes growth. Or at least it builds character.

Before you spend any money can you cut off what you did and either trim or add a filler panel? Sleep on it solution might be right before you.
Zap.......... I had hoped they might be salvageable but my body man said he would need new panels and I was embarrassed enough not to argue with him. Besides, the price of the panels will not buy much labor so I suspect I will probably come out ahead just giving him what he thinks he needs to correct the problem. I'll survive it move on to new mistakes as I try hard not to do the same ones twice.

Zapato

Well when he cuts them off put them aside, you or someone else may need them in the future. Don't feel too bad about that mistake. If you want to see a major one check the cars for sale and see what's sitting in my garage. bought in a weak nostalgic moment. And a lot harder on the pocket than your mistake.

Learned a lesson on that one. Never go look at a car you're thinking of buying with someone with incredible skills. When they say it can saved it doesn't always mean I can save it.,

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 imposter

Quote from: Zapato on 2014-04-03 15:56
Well when he cuts them off put them aside, you or someone else may need them in the future. Don't feel too bad about that mistake. If you want to see a major one check the cars for sale and see what's sitting in my garage. bought in a weak nostalgic moment. And a lot harder on the pocket than your mistake.

Learned a lesson on that one. Never go look at a car you're thinking of buying with someone with incredible skills. When they say it can saved it doesn't always mean I can save it.,

Learned that same lesson a number of years ago when I purchased a 2 dr. ranch wagon blinded by how great of a dog hauler it would make. The amount of body work needed was light years ahead of my skill
level. The only saving grace of that fiasco was all the drive train components I had purchased are under my current project but that wagon is still #1 on my list of bad ideas.

Limey57

I think we've all done something similar at some point.  I always tell folks to assemble as many panels as possible before fitting repair panels, trouble is I don't always listen to my own advice!

Another tip is not to automatically assume that a repro panel will be a copy o the original!  Even known/recommended manufacturers can produce repair panels that seem to be intended for a different car.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ecode70D

[quote author=Limey57 link=topic=4909.msg37015#msg37015
Another tip is not to automatically assume that a repro panel will be a copy o the original!  Even known/recommended manufacturers can produce repair panels that seem to be intended for a different car.
[/quote]

Gary
    You are so right.  It's almost like every reproduction panel has to be massaged to fit.   Jay 

jdlafayette

I keep saying someday I will buy a car that doesn't need patch panels, Probably not.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: jdlafayette on 2014-04-06 11:19
I keep saying someday I will buy a car that doesn't need patch panels, Probably not.

ME TOO!  The 58 Edsel is the closest I have come.  It's limited use and many years off the road sitting resulted in only scabbed in floor pan patches by the previous owner.  Have found no other rust in the car!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ecode70D

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-04-07 08:05
ME TOO!  The 58 Edsel is the closest I have come.  It's limited use and many years off the road sitting resulted in only scabbed in floor pan patches by the previous owner.  Have found no other rust in the car!

It's great that you don't have to replace any of the outside sheet metal.  As you know that can run into a lot of time and money.