News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FMX question

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-05-20 19:42

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

I have a FMX behind my 351w, with a auto shifter on the floor. Saturday when I took the car for a test spin, and the selector sequence went from top to bottom park, reverse, neutral, low2, drive, and last low 1. Is this right or am I just crazy thinking the drive gears should be in order. Thanks, Tim
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

sprink88

That doesnt sound right. I thought it would be drive, L2, L1
~Chris

57 Ford Kustom

Sprink, I did too! But the proof is in the pudding! I put it in drive, the car rpm's ramped up, I went to the next gear, and the rpm's leveled out fine. I then slowed down, hit the last gear, and almost put me through the windshield! Lol. All I can think of, is that is the way a column shifter rods would have shifted it! I'm puzzled! Tim

RICH MUISE

Just a thought..could you have a linkage arm on top if it should be on the bottom, or vice-versa
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,  the linkage arm does come over the top, but I have no room to come from the bottom. But that doesn't explain the drive sequence  Tim

RICH MUISE

I'm certainly no expert here, but if is suppose to be hooked up from the bottom, and it's hooked up at the top as you say, it is engaging in the wrong direction (pushing forward when it should be pushing back)which seems to me could explain the wrong gear sequence. You need some of our more knowledgeable members to chime in here.

RICH MUISE

Is that the same tranny setup your dad had in it,or was it also changed when you did the engine swap? Posibly it was wrong, but he was aware of it and drove accordingly?

BWhitmore

I am no expert, but could this be a trans valve body issue?  I believe the valve body controls the shifting sequence and duration.  Just a guess.

57 Ford Kustom

Here is a question for you guys. Does the kick down only operat in drive? If so, I think I know what's happening. I took it for a ride tonight, and drove it in the middle position, it acted like it wanted another gear. I slid it back to the last position, and no real difference, accept it would kick down when I slowed down. I am beginning to think that my shift rod needs to be lengthened, so it will be able to fully engage drive. This would only be true if it will only kick down in drive. Whatcha think?  Tim

BWhitmore

I am no expert, but that makes sense.  When the trans kicks down it kicks into the lower gear, therefore it would only kick down while in drive. 

Ford Blue blood

I have a FMX in my 36, sounds like you have things lined up as they should be.  True test is verify that park is in fact park, reverse is reverse, neutral is neutral.  Then from a dead stop move the selector into the first drive position from neutral, accelerate at nearly full throttle and count the up shifts, should be two (low to second and second to drive).  Putting the selector in the "low" position will not automaticly drop the transmission into low if you are moving until you get below a certain speed or hammer the throttle, it will stay in second forever until you slow down enough.  Hope that all makes sense.

Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 Ford Kustom

FBb, I think Bill was right about the piston I the drive is frozen or not working. I have determined that the shifter is right and the gears are in order. So the problem is the trams won't up shift in drive. It will not shift out of 1st gear, any suggestions? Thanks, Tim

Ford Blue blood

Vacumn modulator, rear right hand side .  Make sure you have a good vacumn signal there, check to see if there is transmission fluid in the line (bad if there is).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

57 Ford Kustom

So FBb, if I have vacume then it is the modulator, if I have transmission fluid, call and get a quote on a rebuild, right? Thanks for the response! Tim

Ford Blue blood

No need to rebuild, just replace the modulator.  Sticks out the back, 5/8" wrench I think, common item redily available.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero