News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FMX question

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-05-20 19:42

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

FBb, I have a quick question, my vacume modulator that I removed had no washer between it and the tranny. The new one I bought never came with one, but the guy at the parts store said I needed one so it wouldn't leak. The copper one he gave me spaces it out , do I need it? If I use it will it work properly? What would we do without you ! Lol, Tim  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Ford Blue blood

I really couldn't say, been so many years since I looked at it.  If it was not leaking before it without the washer it shouldn't leak with the new one without the washer.....don't know.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks FBb! I didn't know if a thick washer would affect the shifting, because the diaphragm wouldn't contact the rod. Tim  :unitedstates:

57 Ford Kustom

FBb, or any transmission guy, I had to replace the seals on the kick down lever and shifting lever. I had to take out a couple of items to get at the nuts inside. When I pulled them off a wedge shaped shim, with notches on each end dropped out. Does anyone know where this goes? Thanks, Tim :unitedstates:

57 Ford Kustom

Sorry guys for crying wolf! I stepped away for an hour, went back and figured it out. Hope no one out there rushed their coffee over this! Miss my Dad, especially on mornings like this! Tim :unitedstates:

KULTULZ

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-05-20 19:42

I have a FMX behind my 351w, with a auto shifter on the floor. Saturday when I took the car for a test spin, and the selector sequence went from top to bottom park, reverse, neutral, low2, drive, and last low 1. Is this right or am I just crazy thinking the drive gears should be in order.

Thanks, Tim

Are you sure the trans is an FMX? The first model year they were available was 1968, and most were SELECT-SHIFT (P - R - N - D - 2 - 1) although a few were available as DUAL RANGE (the pattern you are describing above).

Additionally, the 57 FORD had the SINGLE RANGE FORDOMATIC SELECTOR DIAL (P - R -N - D - L), whereas the 58 FORD that came through with the then new CRUISEOMATIC DIAL (DUAL RANGE) (P - R - N - D2 - D - L).

The modulator valve was not introduced until the 1961 model run. You need to ID which trans you actually have.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

57 Ford Kustom

Kultulz, I haven't seen you on the sight for a while, glad you're here! I do have a FMX, the engine and tranny are out of a 69' cougar XR7. The problem was the metal vacume line had rusted through, so the modulator was not up shifting into D, or even D2, so, when I would put the car into D2 it would up shift. This gave me the illusion of the messed up gear sequence.
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates: