News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

OK here we go again...4.6 vs 5.0 swap...my head hurts

Started by Roothawg, 2011-05-10 17:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Roothawg

OK, after hours and hours of research and head banging on the desk, I feel that I am no closer than I was before.
I had it all worked out that I would keep the 292 and add overdrive, but then I had some issues with the 292 over the weekend (nothing drastic) and it started me to thinking about the swap again.

I really want a late model drivetrain for the wagon. I bought a vintage travel trailer over the weekend and towed it home with my 5.4 modular.  It was a perfect match, barely knew it was back there and got decent mileage to boot.
I started looking for a low mileage 5.0 EFI and reading some of the posts covering the swap.  I have been swapping emails with members on the board asking questions about their experiences.

The problem is that I can find the 4.6L everywhere but the 5.0 are getting harder to find.  Should I pursue the 4.6 since they are more plentiful?  I tried to follow the 4.6 thread but it is pretty confusing.

Here is my long term goal.  I would like to swap out the motor to a modular if possible, but I want to keep my power steering etc until I get the money to do the steering conversion.  I don't want to have the car down for a year.  I need to be able to do it over the winter if possible.  I would like to do it in stages.  Motor/tranny swap, steering, disc brakes etc.

Can I do the 4.6 swap with a stock steering box?
Don't make me stick an LS2 in this bad boy.

canadian_ranchero

look at my posts under engine swaps.the 2cam 4.6 gives a little more room.the swap i am doing is a 4cam out of a markviii in a 57 meteor ranchero.i am using a 59 steering box with no problems.the ranchero has a 289 right now a easyer swap. email me if you have any questions

RICH MUISE

From the info i've gathered here, it's my understanding there is not a whole lot of difference between doing a 5.0 efi or a 4.6 efi, other than a few "minor"mods with the 4.6 because of clearance issues. As Canadian Ranchero said, a 4.6 sohc(2 cams) will give a little more room than the 4.6 dohc, but that being the only diference,I'd for sure opt for the dohc. At least as far as the mark viii's are concerned,the electronics are easier to deal with using a '93-95. I believe it's '96 and up that have the additional pats system. Also the '93 thru '95 blocks are, according to a 4.6 build book I have,the strongest of all the 4.6's produced. Aluminum cast in Italy.The well read post that Canadian Ranchero and Claiborn did have a lot of good info, and spread out over the long thread, you'll find mention of at least a 1/2 dozen parts they've figured out for us that'll facilitate the swap(exhaust manifolds,oil filter adapters, oil pans, etc.)  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Roothawg

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Roothawg on 2011-05-10 22:47
So what was the 2 cam in?
crown vic 92 up,lincoln,merc,trucks to about 04,mustang to 04[99-04 the best 2cam 4.6,the mustang puts out 260hp]they changed the non mustang 4.6 heads in 01 so they put out more power than the early ones.there is a 3 valve 4.6 in the mustang and trucks about 05 up.have not tryed this engine in a 57

Roothawg

I guess I need to talk to someone at Painless.  the guy I talked to the other day was not very helpful.

shopratwoody

Just check where the torque band is on this late model stuff. (for the towing) :003:
I hate blocksanding!

Roothawg

Are the 351W EFI not desirable?  I haven't seen or heard much about them.

RICH MUISE

If I decide not to go with the 4.6dohc (which I already have) because of it being a complicated swap for a first-timer, my "older school" choice will be the 351.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I agree with Rich, for a first timer or one with limited tools the 351 is one of the better choices.  For your proposed use of the car the F150, Crown Vic 302/AOD (93 and earlier) will be the easiest as it is a Speed Density system and the computer hook up is the easiest as well.  I believe the 351 EFI engines were all throttle bodies and used in HD applications.  Their transmission is different then the passenger car and the flywheel must be changed to a passenger car flywheel to use a passenger car AOD.  The stall speed in the HD transmission is quite high anf the torque converters are not interchangable.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

ford used the 351 in the trucks till 96 in 1/2 tons and 97 in 3/4 and 1 ton.the truck intake is too high to fit a 57.the speed shops do sell a EFI intake for a 351 to fit in a mustang,that will fit under the 57 hood.also the 94 and newer 351 come with roller cams so i would pick these ones first.get one with the 4r70w trans[based on aod],the e4od is longer and bigger[based on c6]

Roothawg

So regardless, if I chose a 351 I better get it cheap, cause the intake is 600 bux.

canadian_ranchero

the carb intake will fit the newer 351.just make sure you use the correct dist gear,needs to work with the roller cam.found a 94 f150 on kijiji from a salvage dealer, body damaged and missing box but has a good running 351 with about 65000 miles[110km] for $350.so look around there are deals out there

Roothawg

I am researching the 351W option right now. There are some pretty cheap deals on rebuilt engines out there.  some have 10 yr/100K mile warranty.  Even if I had to buy the aftermarket intake etc. it might come out cheaper than trying to find a low mileage 5.8.

JPotter57

If you get a `94 or newer 351w, it will have a roller cam.  I just sold one not long ago, kinda wish I had kept it, oh well...easy come easy go.  Good thing is that they're pretty easy to find.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.