News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 DOHC worth noting

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-12-13 19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

In the February issue of Hot Rod Magazine, page 64 is a 63 Fairlane station wagon outfitted with a STOCK mark viii engine with 200,000 miles, and 5 speed. According to the article, it is stock engine except a "EMS Pro controlling everything". The article goes on to state the car has turned a best of 11.53 @ 118mph, and generates 550 hp....pretty awesome and added incentive I think, if it can be believed, for those of us considering that engine for our '57's. Just thought it was interesting fodder to share.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

graybandit

I find this difficult to believe.  I own a Mk 8 it comes stock with 280HP, it's a great motor so I researched building one and putting it in my 57 Ranchero.  Without changing heads, cams and injectors it's good for maybe 300HP with a chip and headers.  If you're willing to spend the bucks you can get over 450 injected 550 plus with a blower.  You can have the best engine management system in the world but it's not going to increase valve lift and duration, fuel volume and exhaust flow.

Frankenstein57

I would agree, there has to be a catch somewhere in that story.  Mark

RICH MUISE

I had a hard time with it also..thus the "if it can be believed" statement I made. Not that they don't make mistakes, but if I had read it in other than HOT ROD, I never would have considered it even close to accurate. It'll be interesting to watch next months issue for letters to the editor. I don't believe they discussed exhaust..so it may have headers.
Rich

Ford Blue blood

I have to jump in here, having owned a 98 LSC they are fine engines, not so fine as to be able to pump out 550 HP in stock trim.  The guys on the MK VIII site have been playing with these engines for a long time, those guys that are making big numbers have adders of some kind.  Shoot, my 93 Cobra only put down 435 at the rear wheels, all it had was the factory setup with CAI. There is a huge difference between those two 4.6 engines!  I'm going to have to raise the flag here. :bsflag:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hogwagon

I read that issue of Hot Rod and that car has a supercharger on it. The text and pictures show it. We had a Mark VIII and a 2003 Marauder now and love the engines. The 2 valve version would have to be easier to get in these cars.

RICH MUISE

Jon...you are correct, the engine is stock internally, but has a ProCharger supercharger on it. I misread the (poorly written)article and thought the supercharger sound they were referencing was on another car back in '06 when they first met them. I'm not up to snuff on blowers, superchargers and other racing stuff, so when they said "4.6L mod motor D1SC ProCHarger five-speed..." (exactly as it appeared in the article with no punctuation), I thought they were referencing the tranny with the D1SC procharger. My mistake...thanks for the correction
Rich

Ford Blue blood

With a S/C...easy to pull those kinds of numbers and yes the bottom end will take it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II