News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My 57 Ranchero

Started by 57chero, 2007-01-11 20:44

Previous topic - Next topic

57chero

Some pictures of my ranchero in progress.

getting the original paint off.  starting the bodywork.

in primer.  prefitting doors, front end, and side molding.

granada disc brake setup.  all new bushings, tie rods, ball joints.  64 galaxie steering box.

was going with a Y block, but it was seized up.  so this 351W will take its place.

shopratwoody

Nice work. Looks like your'e moving right along. I had a hell of a time aliigning the front end pieces and the doors.
Some of the curves on the doors still don't match the panels. I've beat myself up trying to make this stuff
match. Somee of the original pieces don't fit as good as the ones I've bought. I put the Gold trim on mine once'back in the 70's but since welded up the extra holes. I still like it , but decided to go back with the single trim. Mine's about
to get painted, ready or not  :102:
Later, Ron  :unitedstates:
I hate blocksanding!

57chero

I know what you mean about fitting the frontend and doors it took me a full weekend and I still have to do the hood and then pull it all apart again.

RAWms

Looking good! 

I screwed with fitting the doors for a couple of weeks.  My focus was the top of the door to the B pillar crease.  But the windshield "knee knocker" would not come in.  What a puk.  A friend of mine in 15 minutes stopped by and fixed the driver door.   He used little pieces of wood and force.   After carpet and door sills were installed  I now have a lower bow out in the driver.  I think the seals and sills are relaxing but still annoying.  I know that it was perfect without the sills so I'm not touching those hinges.  The passenger side door closed and fits ok but the windshield has a gap I do not like.  I guess after 50 years these guys have flexed a bit.  Also, what was the factory criteria back then.  Heck, Henry better gives us points improving on the factory stuff and keeping it alive. 

r

P.S. Now that I have confessed my sins don't call them out when I bring New Yeller north.
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57 Ford Kustom

57chero.
         What was the advantage of using the 64 steering box and how did it fit?? It takes a lot of time to redo these older cars , mine 2 dr sedan has the same problems as you guys have like Roger I keep the top of the curve lined up the rest fell where it landed :076: :deadhorse:

T 8)M  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57chero

The 64 box is a little smaller for header clearance and it has the rag joint coupler set up instead of the column hooking direct to the box so I can use a variety of different columns, Im using a 75 f-100 column its the perfect lenght nice and clean has the column shifter that will work with the C4, has far has installation it bolts up to the factory holes on the frame.

FORDNUT

Which pitman arm did you use;the 57 or the 64?
At my age I am not required to act mature.

57chero

I used the the 57 pitman arm.

JPotter57

Chero, that ride is coming along nicely man....Looking good...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

57chero, is that 64 box power steering? I have been playing with a F150 box,but it weighs a ton! Mark

57chero

Its a manual steering box.

Ford Blue blood

Ok, did a little checking with my friend in the salvage yard.  Late 61 - 64 are the same, power steering was the old link assist.  64,000 dollar question........65 - 68 boxes are the same and are power boxes, will they bolt up to the frame and will the pitman arm bolt up?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57chero

Thats a good question , I dont know I do know the 67 fairlane ranchero I had with power steering had the old linkage ram style, whether the galaxie is different ?.

Ford Blue blood

Sorry, failed to mention those are all Galaxie boxes.  Yes, the Fairlanes, Falcons and Mustangs all use linkage assisted power steering up through at least 1970.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II