Fun Ford Weekend September 19 - 21, 2008 @ California Speedway, Fontana, CA

Started by 57AGIN, 2008-09-10 14:36

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

The annual Fun Ford Weekend combination Drag Race and UPR Car Show is being held this year in Mid-September.  It will be a 3 day event, with Friday, September 19 for race technical inspections, test and tune, the gates open at Noon.  Saturday, September 20, is the real start of the event, gates opening at 7:00 a.m. 

Saturday registration for the Car Show from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.  Registration for the car show costs $35 for 1 day and $45 for 2 days.  The Car Show this year will be moved back to the 2006 location beside the grandstands and along the first half of the drag strip.  This was a great location and made it possible to sit under a canopy behind your 57 and watch the drag racing at the same time.  The 2-day Car show is divided into a participant judged Top 25 on Saturday and a FFW judged show on Sunday with 58 Trophy's or Plaques awarded.  Two years ago, Bill Sawyer's 57 Skyliner took the Best of Show Trophy and nearly every 57 present won and award or two.  The Car Show event ends on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. with presentation of the UPR Car Show Awards.

Saturday registration and tech inspection for the Drag Racing from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Saturday. Time trials are from 9:00 - 11:30 a.m.,  the actual racing starts at 11:45 a.m. The drag racing prices vary with the class chosen to run, with the lowest being $55 for Street Ford running for trophy's only, no electronics, foot brake only, mufflers & DOT tires required;  all other classes costs vary with the amounts of the payouts and are run starting at $85.

NOTE:  Due to some problems in the past if you wish to both Show and Race your car you must pick the day.  They won't let you both show and race.  So you can race on Saturday and show on Sunday or vice-versa.  Bummer, since I only do time trials and the racing didn't interfere with the showing. 

Oh well, it is still a fun event and other than the Knott's Fabulous Fords Forever show in April this is the only other 57 Fords International club event on the West Coast.  With the show being moved from Mid-October to Mid-September there shouldn't be any rain issues and probably no Santa Ana wind issues either.  I hope we can have a good turnout of 57's for one or both days this year, we've kind of slipped from the great turnouts for the 2004 & 2006 Fun Ford Weekends.

Bob
57AGIN   

57AGIN

Well the Fun Ford Weekend (FFW) is history.  The weather cooperated for this year; no rain, fires, 80 mph winds and not too hot.  For whatever reason the Saturday car show only had 22 participants (total).  Since the participants judge the top 25 cars at the Saturday show both of the 57's present for the judging (my Custom 300 and Terry Stonecipher's Ranchwagon, driven to the show from Arizona) received awards.  Another 57 Custom came early, but had to leave before the judging began.  The reason I suspect for the low car show turnout is that the FFW occurred this year on the same weekend as the Annual Route 66 Cruise in neighboring San Bernardino.  At the close of the Saturday show Terry took his Ranchwagon to Moreno Valley (about 35 miles east of Fontana) and took a "Best Classic" at a local car show.

On Sunday the 57's that showed up comprised about 20% of the total number of cars in the event.  All the other show participants were Mustangs, except one Lightening Pickup and a nice looking Fairmont.  We had five 57's at the Sunday show and each one took home one or two awards.  Terry's Ranchwagon took two awards, "Best in Class" and "Track Choice";John Lamana's Sunliner recieved a "Best in Class" award.  Doug Klein and his wife Ruth each had a 57 at the show, Doug's 427 powered 57 Fairlane 500 and Ruth's Ranchero each recieved "Best in Class" awards.  Finally, my Custom 300 received a Nostalgia award plaque and a "Best Interior" trophy.  Check out the photos in the Gallery in Club Events.

With the poor show turnout and not a very large turnout of Ford drag racers, I'm not sure if the FFW people will continue to do this event.  It is really too bad, because I frequently hear from the local Ford people how they would like to have some events out here that aren't dominated by other manufacturers.  I do hope they give it at least one more chance and do a better job of advertising the event amont the many Ford car clubs out here. 

By-the-way, this year I didn't put my 57 on the strip, as the FFW people will now only let you show or race, not both.  So on Friday I took my new daily driver (2008 Shelby GT) and tried it out.  Faster than the 57, but not as much fun as it is an automatic.

Bob
57AGIN

F570RD

Nice shots.57's lined up with the hoods open is way cool.Thanks

shopratwoody

Bob,
Nice pics. That enviroment for Racing is fine cause you'll have all your stuff with you. But for a Car
Show to be out on the blacktop without shade in the Fontana heat and for what they charge is
really pretty bad.
  If I get a radiator back in mine I'm gonna try and make it to all ford day at La Palma Park.
There is grass and trees there.
later, Ron :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Shopratwoody:

I agree the hot blacktop is really not a good way to spend a day at a car show.  If you can make it I hope to see you at the All Ford Picnic this Sunday at LaPalma Park.  As you said grass, trees and lots of Fords make for an enjoyable day.

Bob
57AGIN

PS:  All the rest of you Southern California 57 owners, shine up your 57's and come on out, this is one of the last shows of 2008 and it is a very nice venue.

Bob
57AGIN 

shopratwoody

Bob,
Radiator is in being redone. Hoping to be there Sunday :003:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

KidKourier

Bob,  Entered the Vetrans Car Show Sunday at Loma Linda,forgot all about the Ford show at La Palma Park, but trying for the John Force Car Show on Dec.7th (Sunday). KID

KidKourier

P.S.   On Saturday,Oct.11th, is Temecula Fall Rod Run down at Old Town Temecula, see you there!  KID