News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

where are all you guys? Today reminds me of the first post I did on this thread back in September....."don't ya hate it when you log on and there are no new threads?".
Gary..since you mentioned interior parts, I'm always confused as to where you're at on the build of your car. The last time I asked about the paint, you were waiting on the college girl's dad to do the finish buffing. Did that ever get done?..did I miss some pics?
My fuel supply project on the '57...I was thinking about having the new ni-terne tank from classic powder coated, that is until I got a price of 175-200 to do it. what?? I'm just gonna paint it myself..may even just paint the topside area where I had welded in the recess box for the fuel pump. Got the stuff in for the fuel lines, just missing a few components I'll pick up in Phoenix. I'm not sure if I'll get to finish the fuel system or not after Phoenix...depends on the weather. Gotta start working on house/garage roof projects as soon as weather (and my shoulder) allows. I'd probably piss alot of you guys off if I said I was kinda hoping for an extension of the bad winter we've all had.
The pic: tanks inc fuel pump, fittings, and summit's version of the nicopp lines. The 3/8", btw, is currently on sale for 50 bucks/25 ft coil
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich I guess the "hard winter" has slowed things down.  It has for me, between keeping the shop above freezing and doing the yard work that needs done and tinkering with other things car work has been slow.  As you (and some others) may know I have been working on two non 57s.  The Edsel is back together and the pile of parts in the shop are turning into a 65 T-Bird.  Getting real close on the Bird, waiting on warmer weather to get the headliner installed, then the rest of the interior.  Some trim items, some electrical repairs and the front bumper.  Put new sneekers on it and she can go get it registered....then back to the Edsel to finish the painting on it.

Want to get the Ranchero running and driving and in the "dry" by the end of summer.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Haven't had anything new to post. Just turn the key, drive around in the sunshine watching the girls wave when I go by  :003: I'm surprised at how many females perk up when they see an old car. Fuel gauge is working, but it's not the gauge so I will pull the sending unit and hope it's only the float, new one coming in the mail.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Good Morning!!!!!!!!!!!
Project status:  complete denial(car is in buffing/detail jail).  I am in moving mode.  Downsizing to a smaller house in a quiet neighborhood with curb and sidewalk...attached garage but no workshop----YET.  House is getting some remodeling and complete redecorate.  Trying to do this in one of the worst winters.  I've had to snow blow the back yard twice to get the trailer in a out.  Most days revolve around snow removal and chiropractor appointments.  We are finally in but life among the boxes sucks.  Driving to the barn daily to find and work on interior components.  I'm trying to get the panels and seats ready for upholstery.  Dash, package tray, console are ready for cutting and sewing.

Oh, on another note:  there was talk about door glass installation and the whiskers.  I just found my new ones.  They are from Tom Cat Whiskers.  A full set in one bag cut to size, with bends, AND OEM style clip/buttons attached...just snap in.  Staples did not come with the inside, garnish molding wiper/anti-rattle/whiskers.  Various attachments have been mentioned...glue, hand bend staples, pop rivets, tiny screws.  I'm not convinced which method is best.

Take care,

F570RD

A struggle today.Yet its the only day of the year that tells ya what to do.Not enough coffee in the world to wake me up.Trying to get the things together and clean the garage for Saturday so a few of my older friends can stop by.It will mark 40 years of have'n the car.

Limey57

Temperature is up (a bit) here this week so yesterday spent some time flatting the fenders ready for epoxy and then priming.  I then dropped one of them and have another crease to sort out before I can prime..................
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Gary...married life sure changes your life in a hurry doesn't it? On the whiskers..I could never figure out why Ford used the easy snapins on the outside, but staples on the inside. I had no problems with hand bent over staples, but the pop rivets should work also if you can find some small headed ones. I would not use screws however...wouldn't want to find out the hard way a screw or two worked themselves loose and that's why my glass is scratched.

hotroddonnie

I talked to a guy here in town that does a lot of high end interior work....he said small rivets and paint them black, so I did and you can't really see them unless you stand high and look inside the door. Anyone the looks that close at your car better be handing out gift cards. HRD 

Ford Blue blood

I used pop rivits (1/8" X 1/4" long) and they are invisible.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

petew

Spent a couple of hours yesterday bending staples around anti squeek rubber pieces for the inner fenders. Quite a lot of fun to line up the existing staple holes , the rubber and then get it all clamped down tight. My fingers hurt this morning.

RICH MUISE

Pete..I've got that project coming up real soon. All the work I've been doing on the engine bay has been with the inner fender temp. in place. It's got to come off one more time for the rubber stuff. The old staple holes on mine are pretty much filled up between the por-15 and undercoating on the wheel side, and the paint on the engine side. I've been looking for some rubber sheeting that I could use for a one piece rubber skirting.
Gonna be a busy day..as soon as I get enough coffee in me I need to get ready for our trip to Phoenix. We're going to leave as soon as my wife gets home from work tonight. It's raining here this morning..hope the car wash is open.

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-03-05 07:55
I used pop rivits (1/8" X 1/4" long) and they are invisible.
That's how mine are if you zoom in you can see a bit of the gloss from the paint. Wonder if they had a good safety on the staple guns back in the 50's. HRD

gasman826

Since I'm from the Detroit area, I always ask auto industry retirees about that stapler.  I have never gotten any information about that tool.  Even the old time upholstery guys shake their heads.  Ford, GM and Chrysler all used those staples and no one knows anything about 'THE STAPLER'.

JimNolan

If you insert a sharpened staple from the wrong side through the material first it will leave a mark as to where the holes are located. It's painful, it's time consuming and it's really not necessary ( rivets). It all depends on what you can or can't live with. For those that want staples, suck it up. For those that don't care, keep on truckin. Jim    PS:  I went with staples.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

hotroddonnie

Quote from: JimNolan on 2014-03-05 09:33
If you insert a sharpened staple from the wrong side through the material first it will leave a mark as to where the holes are located. It's painful, it's time consuming and it's really not necessary ( rivets). It all depends on what you can or can't live with. For those that want staples, suck it up. For those that don't care, keep on truckin. Jim    PS:  I went with staples.
If I was building my car back to factory specs it would be staples for me as well. HRD